9. A Good Warrior

Fortunate enough, I slipped into my hallucination where an entire week had elapsed.
The Heaven, Nether, and Earth troupe assembled on a vast ground, resembling what could be a battlefield.

Father inquired, "What defines a 'Good Warrior' in your opinion?"

Dominick responded, "A true warrior is one who sacrifices their life, shedding blood for the nation. Someone who sees fighting for their land as both a passion and a duty."

Denevier added, "In my view, a good warrior fights for the nation and is not only capable of safeguarding comrades but also the lives of common people. Preserving the nation is akin to preserving its pride, but valuing the lives of its citizens is equally important."

Felipe contributed, "To me, a good warrior is an adept fighter. They must endure endless pains and strive not to lose their breath."

I shared her perspective, "Without the ability to protect oneself, how can one be entrusted to safeguard their people and land? A good warrior, having endured all pains, can empathize with the suffering of others. Only then can they bear the despair of the people, fighting with their weaknesses turned into strengths."

Father reflected, "We're receiving diverse answers. Your engagement in school activities is intriguing. Regular participation and focused studies will shape your essence towards life. In the game 'Warriors, Slay!' you'll explore your own definitions of what makes a good warrior."

Father turned to the leaders and said, "Any final words for your students, dear Leaders?"

Eden addressed his students, stating, "Recall my words from the first day. We're all a unit. Go for it."

"I've consistently emphasized this to you all. There's an opportune moment to wield power and intellect. Exercise caution." Gaia advised.

"Lucifers, I heard your answers, and I'm impressed that you've already delved into the depths. You've been correct from the very beginning. I trust your judgment. Prioritize protection. Understand." Lucifer commented.

"Alright. It's time to commence. Keep in mind to play with caution. After all, you're all mortals. Inevitably, you will get hurt and bleed. The tally of cuts and wounds will be noted." Saying this, Father activated the siren.

It unfolded as a genuine war. Ashley failed to forewarn me that the game would mirror a real battle. Her explanation had been confined to learning the proper use of our weapons.

All three realms engaged in relentless attacks. With every passing second, I found myself fervently praying to snap back to reality, yearning to escape the impending dangers. Alas, my pleas failed to reach God's ears. My understanding of the application of the spectre in my hand was limited, and I resorted to swinging it at anyone who approached. Desperately, I employed the tricks learned from the training class to fend off approaching enemies.

Ashley and I stood locked in a face-off. Her demeanor, a mix of intensity and nervousness, permeated the air. Her simple smiling eyes and a slight grin was enough to let be breathe. But as her fingers danced on the strings of her harp, confusion mingled with a subtle anxiety coursing through my veins.
A quick survey of the battlefield revealed a display of formidable fighting skills among the students, prompting a realization that I couldn't defeat anyone here. My gaze returned to the person standing before me. With a simple smile, I took a few steps back. Abruptly, Morgan slipped into the scene, raising her spectre. Without a shred of hesitation, she mercilessly thrashed Ashley, a thin green smoke billowing from her spectre upon impact. Though not critically severe, but how she could act with such ruthlessness and devoid of empathy.

Ashley, now marked by a cut on her right arm, provoked a visceral response from me. "Are you insane?" I rushed to her side, seeking reassurance. Morgan's retort dripped with venom, "You're breaking the rules. In the battlefield, she's nothing but an enemy." Before Morgan's spectre could descend upon Ashley for a second time, I intervened, blocking her attack with mine. Morgan, frustrated and bewildered, exclaimed, "What the hell! Why are you doing this? Your actions are enigmatic."
Ignoring her questions, I focused all my strength on restraining her, determined to prevent Ashley from retaliating as her hands trembled in readiness to strike back.

Shifting my gaze to the other side, I witnessed Felipe and his disciples encircling Dominick. "Lucifers are demons for real," I sighed. Out of nowhere, Denevier replied, "Poor Dominick." The impending assault on Dominick was halted when Morgan interjected, "Let me handle this." Felipe responded, "Play it well. Leader believes in us." Morgan retorted, "You think I will show mercy?" Felipe maintained his resolve, "Keep this attitude till the end." Morgan unleashed a relentless attack on Dominick. At least, in this confrontation, Morgan seemed safer than Felipe.

Simultaneously, on the opposite side, Felipe retaliated with a relentless assault on Denevier's back. I could only tighten my grip on my spectre. My heart ached as Felipe forced Denevier to his knees. I, helplessly, stared woefully at him, my hands paralyzed with fright. Felipe's eyes locked with mine, a smirk etched on his face as he hurled Denevier to the ground. Despite my best efforts to conceal my emotions, my face betrayed the turmoil within. Denevier, in the midst of his own pain, fought valiantly against the overwhelming odds.
Drawing near, Felipe whispered in my ear, "In a blood-shedding field, nobody cares about blood." His gaze shifted to the ongoing struggle between Morgan and Dominick, and he added with a sinister charm, "Isn't it interesting?"

What kind of game is this? What are we supposed to learn from it? Even if you're hurting, you need to chop your dear one's head? Not everyone can be this vicious.

Morgan found herself ensnared in a whirlwind of Edens, her spectre clashing with an overwhelming onslaught of harps. As Sophia aligned with Heavens to unleash a relentless assault, a surge of audacity compelled me to defy my own feet, thrusting myself into the midst of the chaos to intercept the impending attacks. Amid the pandemonium, Dominick, with a determined grip on his harp, approached, striking the strings with a force that made me instinctively close my eyes in anticipation of impact. After a breathless moment, I realized he had intervened, deflecting an Earthlie's attack that had been aimed at me.

Expressing my gratitude with a heartfelt "Thanks," Dominick calmly replied, "We're even now. I couldn't thank you the last time." Sensing my bewilderment, he elaborated, "The ointment."
A brief scream escaped my lips as I observed Sophie and her accomplice poised to backstab Ashley and Morgan. Dominick swiftly redirected his attention to them, executing a masterful intervention that saved both from imminent harm. I rushed to Ashley, enveloping her in a tight embrace.

Yet, our respite was ephemeral as a horde of demons closed in, ruthlessly assaulting Ashley and Dominick. Suspended between a fervent desire to retaliate and an inability to shield them effectively, I became an unwitting target myself. In my attempts to protect them, I inadvertently transformed into one of their primary objectives. Morgan, cold and impassive, stood as a silent witness, observing with detachment as we were mercilessly battered until our gums bled. When we lay sprawled lifeless on the ground, she heartlessly turned her back, walking away unaffected.