Chapter One (Part One)

For those of you who have seen this book before and are wondering, "hey! This was already published!" You would be right. but I have gone through the chapters and edited a lot. Added, revised, switched, took out, you name it. This new version is hopefully much better and I do not have to be AS embarrassed to publish it. So I hope you enjoy!

After nine years in prison, getting out was quite nerve wracking.

Nine years ago, my parents and siblings were caught committing treason and were sentenced to jail for life. I had been born, but I was just a small child at the time, barely eight, but that didn't stop King Alaric of Rycon Kingdom from jailing my family and I for life.

Life in prison was tough, as one might expect. Though, it's not what most people think.

People seem to think that prison is cold, dank and cruel, and they would be right about the cold and dank part. But cruel? That's not the right word.

No, prison isn't cruel, it's just highly confining, boring, and unpleasant. when you're in jail, you can't go anywhere. You can't explore. You're not free to walk where you please. Someone's always watching you.

The people in jail aren't too bad either. People have this misconception that people in jail are big, sweaty, mean, and scary. They aren't. Sure, they're big and definitely sweaty, but mean? No. Honestly, most of the time, they're as nice as a child's tutor. Most of the time.

So, what makes jail so bad? The guards. The food. The fact that you're stuck. The beatings. The cold. Need I go on?

But, nevertheless, I grew up in jail, and jail was all I knew. Life outside the bars was intriguing, but I knew I couldn't get there, so I gave up the thought.

Until I heard that King Alaric died.

With the King dead, maybe I'd have some chance. Maybe somehow I could convince the new one that I was innocent, that it was my parents and other siblings who committed treason – how could an eight year old commit treason! – and maybe I could go free.

As soon as that thought came I felt guilty. I couldn't leave my family down here. I couldn't be on the surface, knowing that my family was suffering down here! So, I pushed my thoughts and plans out of mind.

At the time of the King's death, the dungeons were much harsher than normal. Guards were more aggravated and likely to snap at any moment. More prisoners were being brought in. Soon, the cells were full. Even the rats seemed to hide away more.

I wondered what was happening. King Alaric was never a liked king; in fact, most people downright hated him. He was unjust and selfish. So when he died, shouldn't people be more happy?

At one point, the guards barged into my cell with a struggling boy in their grasp. The boy fought them well, too. He managed to elbow one and kick the other, but almost immediately, more guards were on him. They wrestled him into a kneeling position, gave him a kick, making the boy curse harshly, and threw him next to me. I scampered up against the wall as they slammed the bars shut. The boy cursed again and shouted he did nothing wrong, then banged his forearm on the bars. Water dripped from the bars.

The boys remained there in the kneeling position. I made no move to try to help him. Yet. From the time I was young, I'd learned that you couldn't be too friendly or nice right away, you need to get to learn them first.

I studied the boy. He seemed around my age, maybe slightly older. His arms and chest were well-muscled; perhaps he was a blacksmith. His clothes were torn in multiple places and filthy. His head was down, so I couldn't see his face, but his light brown hair nearly fell into his eyes anyways. His skin was an attractive olive color.