Chapter Six (Part Two)

I was starting to get light headed. By now, an hour or so had passed, and we did not have food nor drink. I considered ripping some wheat from the stalk and chewing, but I didn't think it was safe. Then, I decided to risk my safety anyway.

"Cedric,'' I said, ripping a stalk out of the ground. He looked at me curiously, then understood what I was doing. He shrugged and copied. I took that as a sign that this wasn't a bad idea.

It tasted disgusting. Like eating grass. Grainy grass. But on the other hand, I was so hungry, I devoured the thing in less than thirty seconds. As soon as that stalk was finished, I grabbed another one.

"This is disgusting," I said, chewing it.

"Agreed." Cedric teared off the grains.

When our stomachs were full of grain, we continued on our trek. I was now somewhat satisfied, but my thirst was not nearly unbearable. I didn't think I had drunk anything for a day and a half.

Thinking of water only reminded me of my dreams. Who were the people by the lake? As far as I knew, they were not anyone I knew. And what was the necklace? The symbol was an eagle wing, and obviously the woman and boy thought it was important, but what did it symbolize? Why did eagle wings keep coming up in my dreams?

"Watch it!" Cedric yelled as he yanked my arm to the side. I yelped as I nearly fell, noticing the tree I was about to stumble into. How did I not notice it? It was like one second nothing was there then the next it was.

The tree was a massive willow. Brown, white leaves fluttered and twirled in the wind, making the light on the ground almost glitter. The leaves dropped nearly all the way to the ground, again making me wonder why I didn't notice the tree beforehand. The sun filtered through, peeking through the leaves and branches. I could hear animals, like squirrels, chitter in the tree and for a moment, I just breathed, soaking in the beauty.

I swept my hand along the leaves. They broke very easily, crumbling in my palm. I rubbed my thumb over the pieces.

"Where'd this come from?" Cedric asked, more to himself, than to me.

I quickly looked at him, my gaze sharp. "What do you mean?"

He felt the tree bark and shook his head in bewilderment. "I mean one second nothing was here, the next there was!"

I stared at him. We both didn't see the tree? I was used to spacing out sometimes, missing details, but him too?

"Well, it didn't just pop up," I argued .

"I know!" he shouted. "But this makes no sense!"

"Maybe we just both...missed it?"

He looked at me as if I were crazy. I didn't blame him, but what other explanation could there be?

Cedric brushed branches out of his way and walked out from underneath the tree. I stayed, pondering how high up the tree was and if there was any possibility of finding fruit up there.

"Aelia, come here," I heard Cedric call.

Curious, I obeyed. When I stood next to him, I gasped.

The tree was gone.

It was like it was never there. I moved back to the side, towards the way I had originally come and tilted my head when I could see it again. Back to Cedric; I couldn't see the tree. Back to the side, I could see it again.

"Angles," Cedirc said, lifting a hand up, moving it side to side. "That's what's making the tree look like it's disappearing. It has to be."

He stepped forward, still unable to see the tree from where he was. "I've never seen anything like this."