Chapter Five (Part Two)

About half an hour later, we reached the barn. It was nearly completely dilapidated, and it was clear no one had lived in it for some time. Cobwebs were scattered all over, loose hay drifted around, and I heard several animals scampering around. Next to the barn was a small house, but it didn't seem to be in any better shape. It appeared to be standing by two wooden poles, nothing more. The windows were open, curtains dancing in the wind. The wood was splintered and moss had started to take over. I glanced nervously at Cedric. I didn't want to go in there.

He was seizing up the house and barn. No one was in it, so I wasn't worried about being caught by people. But animals...

"We'll stay in the barn. The storm might hit the house too hard, and I don't want to be in it if that happens," Cedric said.

My heart slowed considerably.

We scoped out the barn, looking for anything that we might be able to lay on. Several parts of the roof were broken, which would leak rain, so we ignore those areas. Eventually, we decided that we'd sleep in one of the horse's stalls. There was more hay in there than the rest, so at least we wouldn't be sleeping on the hard ground.

Once that was all settled, food was the next problem. Mine and his stomachs, I noted with some strange happiness, were both rumbling loudly. We hadn't eaten since the night before and even that was only a little amount since we weren't planning on losing our whole supply of food. My mind flashed to the knife at my neck, but I shook my head to dispel the image. We should've gotten food at the last city, but Cedric was too concerned about getting past the guard. And Rowan.

"Maybe we should go back for food?" I suggested.

He shook his head. "It's too far a distance, and I don't want to be caught in the storm." his eyes drifted to the house. "Maybe there's food in there."

My mouth gaped open. "You want to go in there?" I nearly shouted.

He gave me another one of his famous hard stares. "Do you want food or not?"

"The food in there is probably rotten," I snapped.

He raised a brow. "Well, we have to check at least."

I bit my lip but said nothing. Going in there would not help my anxiety anymore than being held at a knife again. "Maybe I should stay outside?" I said, "I can keep watch that way."

He looked as though he wanted to say something but thought better of it. "Fine."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

While he searched, I stayed by the opening of the barn, swiveling my gaze from the stalls, to outside, to the house, and back to the stalls. I hoped he would find food, my stomach was rumbling so loudly I was sure that it would attract animals.

I got up, wandering around the barn. Partly to stretch but also partly to search around. Who knew, maybe there would be something of use. But nothing was there. Just an empty trough for an imaginary horse.

Something brush brushed my shoulder, sending me spiraling around. But no one was there. Another brush against me. I flew my hands up as if to defend myself, but still no one nor nothing was there. My heart thundered in my chest. Another brush. And another. I couldn't see what it was, and I put my arms up to protect myself. Just as I was about to yell for help, I noticed I felt wet. Slowly, I dropped my arms. I couldn't believe it.

Rain was falling!

Instatlny, I smiled in surprise and stared up at the sky. It was hard to do, since raindrops kept dropping into my eyes, but I didn't care. It was dizzying, looking up to watch the rain fall, but it was so enjoyable. So cozy. So rejuvenating.