Chapter Seven

The city was nothing special. We evaded people by sticking to alleys and acting casual for the most part. It was much more crowded which made moving around much easier, but more nerve wracking. We ignored every poster bearing our faces, rushing ahead as though scared the poster would scream out our names.

Whenever the chance arose, Cedric would sneak food and money from the stands selling food. I would've loved to stay there, wandering around and seeing the sights. It was my first time out of prison, my first time anywhere out of prison, and I wanted to see new things and have new experiences. Though, I guess if I thought about it, this whole trip was a new experience.

We stopped a couple a couple of times, staying in alleyways, eating whatever Cedric could steal. I hated that I was eating stolen food. I hated that we used stolen money. But what else could we have done?

It took us more than half the day, and into the night, long after the sun went down, to travel the city. By sundown, we were only halfway through the city.

Several men lit the streetlamps, making the streets seem more... warm. The cobblestone roads seemed to move in the flickering firelight. Fewer people traveled the roads, the only ones there were ones going home or to the tavern. I could hear music coming from several taverns. It sounded lively, I think the instruments were lutes and pipes. I'd never really heard music, only glimpses of it here and there, mostly from parties the castle held and whatever music trickled down to the dungeons.

I found the sound rejuvenating and exciting. The sound filled my bones and coursed through my blood making me want to jump around and dance, letting go of all my worry. I snuck a little closer to the tavern window.

Women and men were held in each other's arms, rotating smoothly in faster dance. Skirts were twirling and hair was flipping. The people who weren't dancing were clapping along to the beat.

The firelight of the tavern flickered around the room, giving it both a certain atmosphere and warmth. I pressed my hands against the glass, wishing I could only be in there to join them.

"What are you doing?" Cedric hissed.

I turned around to face him. "I've never heard music."

He blinked. "We can't go in, you know."

"I know," I sighed. "I know."

He didn't respond. I turned back around to look inside. The song had ended, and a much slower, almost haunting ballad was being played.

As opposed to the last song, this one gave me a melancholy feeling. I was surprised that I felt like that, when only a few seconds ago I felt happy and free of worry.

The people were dancing slower, too. They were still rotating in circles and holding hands, but the motion was less jumpy and fast. Occasionally, they'd dip on another.

"What are they doing?" I said, my nose touching the window. "What is this dance called?"

Cedric stepped forward and looked through. "It's called the Rosette Waltz. I learned it once when I was younger. My mother would spin with me. She was a dancer."

I looked sideways at him. There was always more I was learning about him. Strangely, I felt more intrigued.

"Lucky you," I said, "I would've loved to learn it."

After a few moments of silence, Cedric cleared his throat. "I can teach you if you would like."

I tried to hide a smile but failed. "But we'd be seen."

"We'll go around the back, where it'll be darker and quieter."

He jerked his head as he started walking around the building. Excited, I followed.

The back clearing was much darker, as no lights were lit. We could still hear the music loudly, and much clearer as no people were walking about.

Cedric held out a hand for me to hold, and lifted it up in the air. Both our arms were now in the air. Suddenly, I had a ridiculous urge to tickle him.

"Alright, put your arm on my left shoulder," he instructed. "No, a little higher – good. Now, when I move my left foot forward, you'll move your right foot backward."

We tried, and I succeeded.

"Good, now move your left foot sideways – not the other way – now when I lift my hand, you'll spin, yes?"

I tried to comply, and at first I succeeded but at the twirl I bumped into Cedric. He chuckled and pushed me upright.

"Close, but you spun the wrong way. If you go left, see–" he showed me, but midway through the turn his arm stopped, " – if you go left, you can't turn anymore and you'll bump into the person."

I fixed my twirl, this time finding it much easier. As Cedric's body moved, I found my body gilded with his. My movements were coming easily.

"You're a natural," Cedric said, stepping back, my foot following.

I shook my head, a smile showing on my face. "I never knew! It feels so...alive. So rejuvenating!"

He smiled. In the darkness half his face was hidden in shadow. The light from the tavern windows reflected in his eyes, which made it hard to look away from them. His hands were warm as opposed to mine, which were considerably cold. I wondered if he cared. Each time he dipped me, my hair would fall back and my foot would go up. According to Cedric, my foot wasn't supposed to rise, but I couldn't stop it.

Occasionally, I'd step on his foot, but he'd never comment. We must've danced for an eternity, just him and I, spinning, letting go of worry and fear, forgetting our situation, pretending to be two normal people.

I wondered if this was what courting was like.

As the music in the tavern ended, so did our dance. We could hear people clapping indoors. Cecdric and I stood there, our gazes locked.

"Thank you," I breathed.

His mouth twitched upwards into a smile. "You're welcome... my Lady," he added the last words with a downward tilt of his head.

Grinning, I copied the motion.

Feedback please! I'd love to hear what you think! (and you might get a shoutout....)