Chapter Four (Part Two)

"Aelia."

I felt tough hands shake my shoulder. At first, I opened my eyes slowly, then gasped and sat upright as my dreams came flowing back to me. As I moved upwards, mine and Cedric's heads collided. He rubbed his and said, "next time you're going to do that, warn me, yeah?"

"Sorry," I stuttered. He mumbled something I didn't quite catch, but I didn't care. I stretched and got up, stroking the fire before sitting down to keep watch.

I couldn't keep from replaying my dreams over and over. I was sure they were memories, but if not for the dreams I would have never remembered them. I'm sure that the symbol I drew meant something at the time, but I can barely remember now. An eagle wing on fire. The Crown Prince's symbol is an eagle, could I have been drawing his symbol?

And who was that woman? A vague memory tells me she was a friend of mine, but more than that I can't remember. What did she mean when she said, "it's what you know?"

Cedric tossed over bringing me out of my reverie. I shook my head and focused on being alert. The forest had quieted down considerably from when I went to bed. I stared into the fire for some time then drew my eyes away after remembering what Cedric had told me: when you're keeping watch, don't look into the fire. It ruins your night vision and makes you miss movements. Movements that could be lethal for you.

Some hours later, Cedric got up to relieve himself. He told me he'd be going only a couple of yards away. I nodded, for some reason more nervous all the sudden.

I shifted and froze when a loud snap sounded from my left. Could it have been the fire popping? Maybe it was just an animal? Fear started building in my chest and I took a breath to calm it. It didn't help. I started to turn my head to look around when a sharp edge was placed on my shoulder.

A knife.

My breath caught and it took all of my willpower not to jump when a voice behind me whispered, "don't make a sound and don't turn around."

I whimpered quietly. The knife was pushed a little more.

"I said, not a sound.'' The voice was female, but that was all I knew. I heard footsteps crunch the leaves around me. There must have been at least five other people. What did they want? What should I do?

I heard our bag being rifled through. The people were almost as quiet as Cedric. Almost as quiet as a Ranger. I shivered.

Someone clicked their tongue and held up a gold coin.

"Well, looks like we picked the right person," the woman holding the knife drawled.

"That's what you wanted?" I whispered. "You could have it. Have it all." Cedric could always steal more if needed.

But she leaned next to my ear, her hair falling over my shoulder. "What if I just kill you now instead?"

I gulped.

"Drop the knife," Cedric called, flashing his dagger from a couple feet away. My heart swelled with relief.

The woman looked up, baring her teeth like a wolf. "Oh look. A boy has come to defeat us all."

"Drop. The. Knife." Cedric called again, his voice carrying.

"What do you say, boys? Should we 'drop the knife?'" the woman laughed. Men around us laughed loudly.

The woman swiveled her gaze back to Cedric. "How about this, boy? You drop the knife and I don't kill your friend here."

Cedric's eyes caught my gaze for a millisecond. It was a cold gaze, but not aimed at the woman. Aimed at me.