Chapter Three (Part One)

My mouth hung open, but I shut it when I realized how stupid I looked. He stood in front of me, looking somewhat in a rush to leave.

"What are you doing here?" I asked bewildered. "Why did they let you out?"

He licked his lips. "They didn't let me out. I escaped."

"What?" my mouth gaped open. "How'd you do it?"

"It was easy. When the guards took you, I started to fight them, and when they fought me, I grabbed their key then acted as though I couldn't fight them."

"So you're a thief," I raised my eyebrow.

His eyes flashed. "I wasn't thieving. I did what I needed to. If I'd stayed there, they would've most likely killed me. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be killed. Now," he rushed on before I could say anything, "they can't be far behind and I'm not planning on allowing them to catch up. But I thought you could use some help in 'going into the real world' and I could help you."

I squint. Cedric's eyes flash back behind him. I should go with him, he's honestly my best bet at blending in. If he's right, and he's a Ranger apprentice, that could make traveling a lot easier. But what if he lied? I could be walking into a death trap. He might only want me to kill me and leave me in the forest! I took some breaths to calm my anxiety.

"Look, I've got to go, so anytime now..." Cedric started.

I nodded my head. I'd go with him. It's not like I was helpless when it came to defending myself.

"Great," he said, then instantly began running off, around the house. I followed suit. For about half an hour, we continued to run through the forest that ran parallel with the main road. Cedric seemed to blend in with the forest, so much that at some points I had to stop and search for him. But I would only find him when he moved.

I kept feeling as though I was slowing him in some way. He would always be faster than me, more sly at blending in, and more quiet. And it really annoyed me. So far, he was better than me in everything. I felt useless and childish compared to him.

At some point, Cedric held up a hand, signaling me to stop. I crouched beside him, breathing hard, and followed his line of sight.

A small group of soldiers were banging on the doors of the people. I focused on the insignia – an eagle in black – the king's insignia. The soldiers demanded to inspect the house, searching for a young boy. I gave a sideways glance to Cedric, but he was completely focused on the scene. His eyes never wavered from the soldiers, and he focused on every detail.

I was itching to move. The longer we stay here, the more chance there is of us being found. But when I raised the subject, Cedric responded with a short "No. Stay put."

A slight feeling of anger stirred in my chest. Who was he to give such orders? I opened my mouth to fight back, but he shushed me and pointed to the house. One guard was left outside, perhaps to watch guard, and was staring directly at us. Then I understood. If we moved, the guard would spot us for certain, just as I spotted Cedric when he moved. But that didn't stop my fear from rushing inside me. And I was the one who was free. I had to consciously remind myself that I'm not in trouble if they caught us. But is that true anymore? After all, running with an escapee might be enough to land me back in jail.

The group of soldiers stalked back out and moved onto the next house. While they screamed at the owners of the house to move aside, Cedric slipped further into the forest. I tried copying him, in the way he moved without making any noise, but failed considerably.

Once far into the forest I pulled on his arm. He swiveled around so fast I actually got a little startled.

"What?" he said shortly.