Chapter 16

I woke up on Friday morning, both excited and exhausted, Mum's warning about Monday being the easiest day, I wasn't ready for Big Barty bringing in more earth mages and tasking everyone on the German's side to fight a forest full of golems. And claim a flag guarded by Tommy and Jackson this exercise was all day every day, only stopped for breaks, to change the teams or groups of people or to teach spells. I didn't get to see Kevin or grace much apart from lunch breaks or being at the guild we were put into different groups. I was with Shinji in the vanguard unit, we got to run out first and attack everything in sight, it's fun but after a while, it's tiring. It was a group of 5, me, Shinji, Amy who brings so much energy, a red-headed boy called Garrett, tall, ginger super slim and finally Brent a smaller boy with big ears and an Irish accent. Brent and Garrett didn't talk to me at first, they finally spoke to me on Thursday and now they both don't shut up.

"Charles, who is stronger you mum or dad?"

"Who is stronger your Uncle Tommy or your Auntie Alex".

"What about the eternal Dragons, who is the strongest and what is it like there?"

"Will you join the guild when you finish school".

And I found this very funny I sent them to ask Kevin all these questions.

On Thursday lunchtime I was sipping on a can of purple nectar while talking to Grace when a chair pulled out next to me and Kevin slowly sat down glaring at me.

"Why do I have random ginger kid and Irish kid hounding me with 1000s of questions" he growled, "I have a headache, they cornered me in the changing rooms while I was getting dressed, they don't stop talking Charles, they didn't stop talking" I burst out laughing and I couldn't control it, Kevin eventually calmed down.

The guild has been bright and joyful, someone started a pool on what was going to happen in language wars, Mum and Dad have put a bet on their team winning Tommy put a bet on our team winning, Tracy put a bet on Kevin capturing the flag. Grace's mum put a bet on either me or Grace getting it for the win. Madison has been gathering information from everyone before she placed her bet and she won't tell anyone what her bet was. Lincoln claims he doesn't care.

"Okay, class Settle down!" MR Ridgewell said, "Today is the day, we won't be here long, in a few minutes we will be making our way down to the sports hall, but before that, I would like to say that I have been told about how well all of you have done and I am super proud to be your form teacher".

I like how excited noise in the form room turned into silent nerves in the changing rooms, my normal incoming headache or Brent and Garrett quietly spinning their sword hilts in their hands,

"How long do you think this will take?" Kevin asked me, "I'm already hungry again".

"No idea," I said, "I could for some bacon toast".

"Add a sausage to that and I'm in".

Mr Ridgewell walked in, "Okay boys when you're ready come out, and wait on the field". Everyone stood up, outside of the changing rooms was Big Barty and Jonah engaging in conversation, but they stopped to wish everyone good luck. We got outside and lined up.

"Charles?" Mr Ridgewell said, "Where is your hilt?" I looked down and only just realised I didn't have it.

"It's in the changing rooms, sir".

"Go get it" I ran off to the top and slowly opened it in case someone was on the other side.

"He needs to know Bartholomew" Jonah sounds angry, I closed the door, so it didn't make any noise. "He has no idea what is coming his way".