Chapter 20 - Operation Super Hammer II

A fruitless debate was unfolding in the Imperial Capital of Ragna.

"The primary responsibility for the Fall of Valkyries lies, of course, with the Army. However, the Navy is not without blame. It was the negligence of the Navy that allowed the combined fleet of the Holy Mirishial Empire and Japan to slip through."

Caesar listened to the Army Minister's speech in disgust. "That's about Leiforia, isn't it? It has nothing directly to do with Valkyries," he countered, but the Army Minister was having none of it.

"The airspace over Valkyries became vulnerable because Leiforia was bombed."

"Did the airspace over Leiforia become vulnerable because the Army carried out the air raid on Otaheit?"

Seeing the Army Minister getting indignant, Office of the Sovereign leader Kurtz cautioned him.

"You are in the presence of His Majesty."

The Army Minister couldn't find the next words and stuttered.

"Shame."

In response to Emperor Gra Lux's words, everyone bowed in reverence.

"The Navy Minister is being dismissed, and before we decide on a successor, the Army Minister's position will be vacant as well."

The Army Minister paled.

"Gaoggel who was actually in charge became an enemy prisoner, and his subordinates either became prisoners or died in battle. There is no one else responsible besides them. You may step down."

In disappointment, the former Army Minister left the room. It's unlikely that he will have the honor of an audience again.

Gra Lux instructed Kurtz with a melancholic tone. "Call Siegs. Appoint him as the acting Army Minister."

"As you wish."

Upon receiving the Emperor's command, Kurtz left the room. At the moment Kurtz left, Gra Lux asked Kaiser.

"Why did you miss the combined fleet?"

"Because the Japanese were there."

"Is Japan that frightening?"

"Yes. Their fleet is no match for our battleships, aircraft, or submarines."

"What about the land forces?"

"That is not my area of expertise, but I think it's obvious from the Fall of Valkyries."

"Hm."

Gra Lux leaned forward, adopting a posture of intense concentration.

"If we lose control of the seas, our country won't survive anyway."

"Military force is only an arm of diplomacy. It's advisable to seek a resolution through diplomacy."

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says that for negotiations to have an upper hand, we need a victory."

"That's an excuse. The nonsense of those who wasted the victory at the Folk Strait."

The Emperor's gaze sharpened. "Do you mean we can't defeat Japan no matter what?"

Caesar replied cautiously. "It depends on what you consider a victory. If you want to defeat Japan, you have to compete with numbers. Japan relies heavily on imports, mainly from the Principality of Qua-Toyne and the Kingdom of Quila on the Rodenius continent. The trade routes with these two countries are Japan's lifeline."

"Rodenius? As I recall, wasn't that outside the Third Civilization Area?"

"Exactly. Unless our Navy dominates not only the Second Civilization Area and the Central World but also the Third Civilization Area and its surroundings, we cannot defeat Japan."