Chapter 11 - The Lone Wolf Captain

Underwater off the coast of Irnetia Island

The interior of the Cetus-class submarine Shemali was permeated with a sense of fatigue. The boat had survived the defeat in the anti-Japanese commerce raiding operations and had distinguished itself in the Second Battle of the Folk Strait as a seasoned boat. Her crew members were involuntary veterans of many battles. However, due to their high level of training, they were being pushed to their limits. Currently, the Shemali was deployed in the defense of Irnetia. This operation required great caution because there were Self-Defense Forces stationed on the Mu Continent.

The Gra Valkas Navy submarine fleet harbored an indelible trauma against Japan. The failure of the anti-Japanese commerce raiding operations had a profound impact. The navy, which had its entire dispatched fleet crushed in Operation Super Hammer II, became convinced of the existence of Japan's artificial satellites. Therefore, submarines were obligated to stay submerged during the day and move only at night without lights (Gra Valkan submarines were nothing more than "surface ships that could dive underwater in case of emergency"). The submarine fleet, having suffered in the Third Civilization Area, faithfully adhered to these strict rules, but it only accumulated fatigue and stress among the crew. Due to such stringent restrictions, the Shemali's arrival at the operational starting point was considerably later than planned. Upon reaching the operational starting point, the periscope was raised, and communication with the dispatched fleet command was established.

When the captain read the message, he looked troubled, prompting a question from the XO who saw him.

"Captain, is it good news or bad news?"

"Both. Which one do you want to hear first?"

"If you put it that way, it sounds like both are bad news."

"Let me correct that. It's a bit of good news and quite a bit of bad news."

"...I'll leave it to you, Captain."

"Bad news is, out of the Cetus-class boats participating in the operation, we've gone from five to three. Two haven't arrived at the operational starting point yet and are missing."

"That's a 40% reduction in firepower... We can't say much about others, but we're not in a great position ourselves."

"The good news is, the target has changed from aircraft carriers to supply ships. The enemy is not as vigilant as they would be near aircraft carriers."

A silent questioning voice rose from the crew on the bridge. Sensing that, the captain continued.

"Even if we could sink all enemy aircraft carriers, the headquarters doesn't want our submarine fleet to be completely annihilated. They want us to survive in this area and continue to threaten the enemy fleet."

Upon hearing this, everyone's expression became complicated. Certainly, they didn't wish for death either. However, continuing to hide underwater without being allowed to withdraw would mean enduring more hardships than before. Wasn't this just an extension of suffering in exchange for delaying death? It wasn't unreasonable to think so.

"The enemy will eventually send reinforcements. We want to keep a means to prevent that. Even if we sink all enemy aircraft carriers, the headquarters does not want them to easily approach the island."

"Is headquarters planning to drag this into a war of attrition? Considering the distance from the rear area, we have an advantage, but..."

"Not like that."

The captain denied the XO's words.

"We can't expect supplies from Leifor. Supply from the home country has been cut off, and Mu is preparing for a counterattack from the land. It seems impossible to withdraw more forces or supplies from Leifor."