Chapter Ten

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

FARRAH

After I woke up later that morning, I decided to go into town. Grayson didn't want me to – didn't want me anywhere without him, but after assuring him that I was going straight to Meredith's book store, he relented.

"Fancy seeing you here," Meredith said as she popped her head out from around a bookshelf.

I sent a small wave, a smile pulling at my lips. "Hey, Meredith."

"You here to buy a book?" she asked me. "Just got some new erotica titles in today."

I laughed and shook my head. "It's been crazy," I confessed, feeling tired and worn down. "I just needed to get away for a little while. Does that make any sense?"

She nodded, her hand reaching down for Max, her service dog. "Come on. Let's get you a cup of coffee and a donut."

I blew out a soft breath, so thankful to have a sister-in-law that just got it. She understood how I was feeling because she'd survived her own psychopath not once, but twice. Being around her didn't make me feel so alone in my fear and panic.

After scarfing down a donut, moaning in delight at the sugary sweetness, I began to help Meredith stock shelves. It was a great distraction, especially since I spent most of the time flipping through books when the cover intrigued me.

I glanced over the shelf at the door when it jingled, announcing a customer had just walked in. Meredith greeted him warmly. I sucked in a sharp breath of air, my heart knocking hard against my breastbone.

It was him.

I'd never forget that face. He was a lot older, but he still mostly looked the same.

I wanted to throw up.

I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket and called my brother, keeping my voice low when he answered. "Farrah?" he asked.

"He's here," I whispered. "He's here at Meredith's bookstore."

A muttered curse spilled from his lips. "Stay hidden, you hear me? As long as he doesn't know you're there, you and everyone else is safe. I'm two minutes away."

He hung up the phone. My hands trembled as I dropped to the floor on my butt, trying to listen through the ringing in my ears as Meredith took his coffee ordered and gossiped with him about the people in town. And like he had lived here all his life, he gossiped in turn, making up lies about moving back after years of being away.

Suddenly, I heard Meredith greet Chase. I didn't dare look up and reveal myself, terrified if I did, things would go south. I heard Chase begin to arrest the guy. He began spewing hateful words, but from what I could hear, my brother had it under control.

Meredith came to find me after the bookstore fell into silence. I looked up at her through blurry eyes as she rushed around the shelf, her eyes falling on me.

"Oh, Farrah," she breathed, rushing towards me.

"C-call Grayson," I hiccupped, bursting into tears.

She wrapped her arms tightly around me and called Grayson for me. When she hung up, she gently rocked me side to side. "He's on his way, Farrah. It's okay now. It's going to be okay."

~*~*~

Grayson marched around the bookshelf, his face set in stone, but his eyes softened when his eyes landed on my trembling form on the floor. Meredith scooted back instantly, and Grayson knelt down, taking me into his arms.

"I'm here, baby girl," he soothed as he lifted me against his chest. "I'm here. You're safe."

I clung to him, knowing that with him, I was the safest I could ever be.