Chapter Fourteen

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

GRAYSON

Chase dropped a pile of wood near the fire pit I'd dragged out into the middle of one of my fields. I blew out a soft breath, looking around the area.

"You think she'll like this?" I asked him.

Chase clapped a hand to my shoulder. "Bro, my sister is madly in love with you. She wouldn't care if you just randomly said 'we're getting married; put this ring on your finger.' She'll love this."

"I feel nervous," I confessed, laughing a little. "I've never been nervous."

"You love her." My best friend shrugged. "It's normal. Trust me, there's been plenty of times I've been nervous with Meredith. I just never showed it."

His phone rang. He groaned and pulled it out, looking down at it. Then, he smiled. "Hey, babe," he greeted. He waved at me and began walking up the hill to his truck, talking to Meredith. I swear, I'd never find a couple more in love than them.

I got the fire going in the pit before I walked back up to the house to get our picnic ready.

I wanted everything to be perfect for tonight. Farrah deserved the effort.

~*~*~

Farrah stepped into the house in a pair of worn jeans and a t-shirt, her normal attire for work. She beamed at me and leaned up on her toes to press a kiss to my lips. "Hi, handsome."

I pressed a kiss to the tip of her nose. "Hey yourself," I greeted her. "Come on," I said, grabbed her hand in mine. "I want to go on a ride."

I'd already taken the picnic basket down the hill, and the fire was going good. But first, I wanted to take her on a horseback ride, just the two of us like we used to do when we were kids. Then, I'd ask her to marry me, and from there, I'd take her to the little area I'd set up, complete with a red and white checkered blanket. We would eat dinner and then stargaze while holding each other.

It would be absolutely perfect for her.

"A ride?" she asked as we stepped outside. "But I'm starving."

I laughed and led her down to the barn where Sterling, my horse was waiting, already saddled up and ready to go. "We'll eat after," I promised her. "I swear, some days I think your stomach is a bottomless pit."

"It is," she deadpanned, making me laugh.

Once she was up on the horse, I slid on behind her and led Sterling out of the barn and to the back of the property, away from where we would end up at the end of the night. We rode in silence for a good while, both of us taking in the peacefulness that surrounded us.

This was one of the things I loved about Farrah. She didn't need to fill the silence with conversation. She was content to just spend time with me.

She frowned as we neared the picnic. "Grayson, is that a fire?"

"Easy, baby," I soothed, sliding my hands over her denim-clad thighs. I pulled her ting from my jacket and flipped the box open in front of her. She gasped, her hands flying up to her mouth. I halted Sterling. "I love you, Farrah. We've been through thick and thin together, and I know you're it for me. I want to spend the rest of my life loving you, letting you get on my nerves. And later down the road, I want kids that are just as stubborn." She laughed, but I could hear the tears in her voice. "Will you marry me, baby girl?"

"Yes," she whispered, nodding her head. "A thousand times yes, Grayson."

I placed the finger on her lips and then turned her head so I could properly kiss her.

That night, after we ate our dinner of roast beef and potatoes which were miraculously still warm, we laid beneath the stars, holding each other long past midnight.