3

The sound of my phone buzzing woke me up. I reached for it and pulled it in front of my face. I opened my eyes to see a blindingly bright screen. I answered Ryan's call and put the phone to my ear.

"Hey, Ev."

"What do you want?"

"Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah." I moved my hand to my eyes, covering them.

"Too bad. I need to talk to you."

I sighed. "About?" I opened my eyes. I pushed my hair behind my ear.

"You're still coming back for Christmas, right?"

"No, actually. I'm staying. If people stop arguing with me."

"Ooh. Sounds like dinner was fun."

"Oh my God, you should've been there." I looked at the bed. "I feel like this is the start of my downfall."

"Tell me all about it later."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why not now?"

"Because I love it when you explain things in person. It's so much better."

"What are you talking about?" I moved to the edge of the bed, letting my legs hang off the bed.

"You're not coming back for Christmas, and I don't want to spend it with my family. Your sister loves me, and I'm sure your mom will too. I can keep you from doing stupid things."

"Ryan, no. You don't understand."

"Oh, come on, Ev. I miss you. And what's better than having your best friend around for the holidays?!"

I stood up. "Not having him around. You just want a new set of girls to sleep with, and I know for a fact you're starting with my sister."

"Who's to say I won't start with you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Try and see how fast you die."

"Don't act like you haven't thought about it. I know how thin our walls are."

I felt my cheeks flush. "Whatever. You can't just spontaneously drop in."

"Too late. I've booked my flight. I'll be there in two days."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "You're a dick, you know that?"

"Mhm. You've said that a lot, sweetheart. I gotta go. Stay sweet, Ev."

"Bye. Love you."

He ended the call. I turned my phone off and tossed it on the bed. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

-

The last two days were spent at home by myself. My mom was working, and Caroline was with Elena in their dorm. Why? She wouldn't tell me. I used the time I had to finish the book I was reading.

I woke up a few hours ago. I only went out for coffee because we were out here. I've been sitting on the couch binging 90's rom coms all morning. I pushed the blanket off of myself and grabbed the remote off the coffee table.

"Hey," my mom started, "What time is Ryan supposed to be here?"

I looked at her after clicking the power button. "In an hour. I have to go pick him up from the airport."

Her hand rested on the doorframe. She tapped her thumb on the frame as she looked at the coffee table. "He's staying with us, right?" She looked at me.

"As Caroline requested." I sat the remote on the table then stood up. I turned to her. "Unless you've changed your mind."