21

I felt my phone vibrating beside me. I picked it up and opened my eyes. I turned my alarm off. After a few minutes of recollecting my memories, I sat up.

Ryan, Ric, Damon, and Stefan are all passed out on palettes of blankets on the floor of the living room. I slept on the couch after a unanimous vote from the four of them.

I grabbed my phone and walked to the kitchen quietly. I made coffee and then poured myself a cup. I took a drink as I walked to the table. I leaned back against the wall and sat criss-cross on the bench of the table. I looked at my phone to realize it was on, and the contacts were open. Kai's name made my chest tighten.

I stared at his name for a few minutes. I pressed the call button and put the phone to my ear. It rang for as long as it could. I called again. There wasn't an answer. I turned my phone off and sat it on the table.

"Why are you in my house? And why was I asleep on the living room floor?"

I looked up at Damon. "You don't remember?" He shook his head. "You called me at two o'clock this morning wanting me to come over and drink with you. I didn't. You guys wanted to have a sleepover in the living room, and then you voted for me to sleep on the couch. It was too late for me to argue so I stayed."

He shook his head slowly. "Too many words."

I pointed to the coffee, and he walked over. I looked at my phone again.

"Expecting a call?"

I looked at Ryan. I shook my head. I looked back down at my phone. I was expecting an answer. He sat down in front of me and grabbed my coffee. I grabbed my phone. I stood up and looked at Ric. "I'm going home. Make sure Ric's awake in an hour and dressed by ten. If you're late, I will kill all of you." I looked at Ryan, "Starting with you."

He looked offended. "What did I do?"

"You called a stripper."

"How do you know about that?"

I rolled my eyes as I walked out. I grabbed my coat before leaving.

...

The music started up again as the doors opened. I stood along with everyone else. We all turned to watch Jo walk down the aisle. She stared at Ric, who was smiling at her. Her dress was stunningly white and matched her personality. She made it to the altar, and we all took our seats.

The minister spoke for a few minutes. "Josette and Alaric have prepared their own vows."

After a moment of Jo passing her bouquet to Elena and then turning back to Alaric, he started speaking. "Neither one of us should be here right now. We've spent our lives dodging fate, beating the odds, but because we did, I got to meet you, the most beautiful, hilarious, and intimidatingly brilliant woman I have ever known. You inspire me... You've shown me that happiness is something that I can have in my life."

A tear rolled down my cheek as Ric slid the ring onto Jo's finger.

Jo wiped the tear off her cheek as she giggled nervously, "Oh, God." There was a collective chuckle from the crowd. "That's a tough act to follow." The smile on her face remained as she gazed starry-eyed at her love across from her. "Here it goes." She took a small breath. "Alaric Saltzman. You are -" She abruptly cut herself off. The smile slowly faded from her face.

I felt my stomach sink as I sat up further along with everyone else.

"Jo? What is it? Jo, oh my God. Jo?"

She groans out in pain, and her hands move to her stomach, making Damon move towards her, and Alaric grabs her as she tumbles over and screams out in pain.