22

"Do you feel okay?"

I didn't look up from the book I was reading. I stayed planted crisscross on the chair. "I've already answered that."

"You said yes because I'm annoying you."

"You gave me your blood. You made me spend a week in the hospital. I'm fine." Caroline pulled the book from my hands and took a few steps back. I looked at her, annoyed. "Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"No. Not until I know you're okay."

I put my hands on my knees, straightening my arms. "How am I supposed to prove to you that I'm fine?"

"Let me see it."

I looked at Stefan, who was standing by watching Caroline terrorize me. "Make her leave me alone."

He shrugged as he looked at Caroline. "I can't make her do anything." He looked at me again.

I rolled my eyes and then looked at Caroline. "If you're this worried about me, why don't you just call a babysitter?"

She tilted her head. "Not funny. I'm worried about you, Evelyn."

"I've told you a million times that I'm fine, it's not my fault you don't believe me. You won't let me do anything except sit here."

She tossed my book onto the couch. "I'm just trying to keep you safe."

"I am safe. You've kept me locked in the house. You won't let me be alone. Someone has to be with me at all times." I got up from the chair. "I'm safe." I started walking out of the room.

"Where are you going?"

"To get a drink!" I kept walking to the kitchen. I heard her start ranting to Stefan.

I drank some water before sitting the empty glass in the sink. The house phone started ringing. I walked over to it, and then I picked it up. I answered the call without checking the number.

"Hello."

"You're not dead."

My heart started racing as my body shivered from adrenaline. "You're..." I couldn't get my words out.

There was a moment of silence between us. I pulled the phone away from my face and ended the call before he could speak again. I put the phone back on the receiver. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself. I heard the front door open, then close. Ryan's back.

I walked back into the living room, my arms crossed over my stomach. I stopped in the doorway.

Caroline walked over to me. "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

I nodded, "I'm fine."

"Okay." Her eyes scanned my face. "Who was on the phone?"

I shook my head, "Wrong number."

The expression on her face told me of her doubt. "Call me if you need me."

I nodded once. She hugged me before being followed out by Stefan, who offered me a smile on his way out.

The deep pit of my stomach was growing cold as I thought more about the call. Why would he call?

"What's up?"

"Hm?" I turned my attention to Ryan as I took a step back. "I'm just -" I uncrossed my arms and forced a smile on my face as I laughed breathily. "I'm sick of being stuck in this house and being with someone all the time." I shook my head.

He nodded slowly, "I get what you mean." He took a breath as he stepped closer. "But you know you can't leave alone, Ev."

I nodded once, "Mhm. It's been made abundantly clear to me by everyone."