17

Any time he has come close to touching me, I've moved away. The only thing I want from him is to be let out.

"This is kidnapping. I'm 17, and I'm not willingly staying in your apartment. I could call the police and have you arrested. I could call Joshua and have you killed."

He opened his eyes and stared up at me. "Go do that instead of bothering me."

"So now I'm bothering you?"

He closed his eyes again, "Mhm."

I felt trapped and frustrated. "I wouldn't be if you didn't lock me in here."

"I didn't lock you in here."

"I beg to differ."

"Get on your knees before you do."

I groaned and walked over to the chair. I sat down and crossed my arms. I leaned my head back and stared at the ceiling. "I'm in hell."

He sighed as he got up off the couch. "Not even close."

I lifted my head and looked at him. "You wouldn't know. Oh wait, yes, you would because that's where you crawled out of."

The smile on his face only made my anger grow. "The sooner you realize this is the best place for you to be right now, the sooner you'll start to enjoy yourself." He waited for my response. "What?"

I put my hands on the chair. "Sorry, I was waiting for the punchline because there's no way that's not a joke." I sat up straight.

He laughed softly and walked closer. "The only reason you're pissed off is because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear."

"Mm, I actually don't want to hear anything from you."

He tilted his head, "Is that so?"

I stood up and stepped closer. "The only thing I want from you is to let me out. Once you do that, we don't need to be around each other ever again. Our problems will be solved."

The grin on his face persisted. His eyes moved to my lips. "I'm really enjoying this. Do you wanna know why?"

"Not really."

"It's because I know you want me." He looked into my eyes. "You just don't want to. So you're punishing yourself by hating me."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." I started to walk away from him.

"You're not denying it."

I stopped immediately. He thinks he won. I turned to face him. "What?"

He walked toward me. "Admit that you want me." He stopped a foot from me.

I stared up at me. "Then I'd be lying, and I'm not a liar."

He shifted closer, leaving me no room to keep lying. "We're all liars, Evelyn. Some are just better at it."

My eyes betrayed me, looking at his lips. I looked to the floor. His fingers tipped my chin up, making me look at him. He leaned down. His lips ghosted over mine, and my eyes fell shut as I tensed up.

"I told you so."

I opened my eyes and knocked his hand away from me. I kept my hand up and pointed at him, "I can't stand you."

The smile on his face tempted my anger. "You're welcome to sit instead."

I opened my mouth to speak as I narrowed my eyes at him. I put my arms back to my side as I stormed off toward the bedroom.

"Come on, Evelyn. It's been weeks."

I pushed the door shut behind me. I stopped in the middle of the room as he walked in. I turned to face him. "Do you seriously think making me mad is helping you?"