Chapter 7

Old Friends...

The elderly knight escorted the two through a side corridor until they reached a small room with a desk. Ahbran sat at one end and gestured for Nimbus and Lonios to sit at the other. Despite its small size, the room was richly decorated with various weapons and shields adorning the walls.

— It seems that the Grand Leader is becoming more powerful.

— He managed to persuade the Legislators to grant him the power to arrest anyone under the pretext that the person's ideas are dangerous to society.

— But without a trial?

— According to him, they won't be imprisoned but reeducated. In reality, it's the same as being imprisoned, but the people don't know that.

— How did this happen?

— Corruption. The Legislators were bought by the Grand Leader. You know very well that when you concentrate too much power in a political position like those Legislators, it attracts only the scum of society trying to seize that power for themselves.

— Sir Ahbran, you know well the solution to this. Power has to return to the people.

— Lonios, you know my stance on a coup. As long as I'm here, that won't happen. My commitment is to democracy. — The old knight's gaze seemed darker.

— Sir Ahbran, this is not democracy.

— I am a knight; I swore to defend the government at any cost.

— Don't worry, old friend. You know well that I'm not here to meddle in the sovereignty of other countries. I'm here for another purpose. I'm just pointing out a solution.

Sir Ahbran calmed down again.

— Is this your squire? I've never had the pleasure of meeting him. — Ahbran looked at Nimbus, analyzing him.

— Yes, this is my famous squire. — Lonios patted Nimbus on the shoulder.

— I can see from his features that he's from Victórius, just like you. I suppose he found what he was looking for? — Ahbran looked into Nimbus's reddish-brown eyes as he spoke.

— In a way. — Lonios spoke, expressing a condemning look towards his friend.

Nimbus didn't understand what was happening; he just stood there, wondering what Lonios had been searching for.

— I've been training him for many years, and he's also very talented, learns very quickly. However, due to my missions, I couldn't properly train him in the art of combat. It's only recently that I've started bringing him on my missions.

Nimbus noticed that Lonios was blatantly lying to Ahbran. "Why is he so mysterious about his past? And he even broke his code, not telling the truth to a supposed friend," he thought.

— Well, I believe he's trustworthy then! I'll tell you the story of what's happening here.

Lonios nodded, and Ahbran continued.

— Well, as you must be aware, the 52nd Expedition was a failure. Of the ten ships that departed, only one Frigate returned. — Ahbran said, revealing a sad expression.

— Yes, I heard about that disaster. — Lonios replied.

Nimbus recalled a little over a month ago when he witnessed the arrival of that ship, but he never knew the reason for only one ship returning.

— Yes, an unprecedented disaster. Something like this has never happened in our history. — Ahbran's expression now changed, appearing furious with the situation, and he continued: