Camp Cretaceous

-o0o0o-

-o0o0o-

"I think I can get through to her... Nevermind—RUN!"

-o0o0o-

[The ferry]

The gentle sway of the ferry churned her stomach and made Yasmina feel sick, but she was able to keep it in for the most part, deciding that lying on her back on one of the empty benches far from her soon-to-be bunkmates and occupying herself with her phone—which she knew was going to be taken from her—was a great way to take her mind off it. Talking to the blond girl on the other end, as it always had, helped, too.

"I hate boats," Yasmina complained, lying on her back as she stared at her phone. The blond laughed, and Yaz rolled her eyes and watched her curse at something on the other end, followed by hissing and several sets of footsteps clattering on a metal surface. "Someone doesn't sound happy," Yaz said dryly.

The girl gave Yaz a withering glance before snapping her head back to the sounds with a glare. "Owen, get your raptors off my baby!" She shouted. There was a round of laughter, and the girl groaned. "Delta! Echo! Charlie! Can't you see you're bothering her?" There were three sets of screeches. "Don't take that tone with me, ladies!" Yasmina was grinning—only Zephyr could chastise nature's best hunters.

"Raptor momma," Yaz called. Zephyr turned her attention back to her phone and grinned at her. "Weren't you going to be there when my fellow test subjects got to Camp?" The older girl ran her hand through her medium-length golden hair. Yasmina groaned and turned onto her stomach. "How long until I see you?"

Zephyr hesitated. "Three days."

Yasmina's heart clenched. "Promise breaker."

"I know, I know," Zephyr sighed, looking regretfully at Yasmina. "I'm so sorry, but the Pachys keep causing problems, and Hamada's sending me to deal with them since they aren't as aggressive around me." Yaz let an understanding smile out, but the blond only looked at her sadly, clearly seeing the truth.

"Just don't make me wait too long," Yaz warned.

"I promise," Zephyr smiled. "And this one I'll keep."

The ferry slowed to a stop, and the speakers announced that they had arrived at the port. Sighing, Yaz sat upright and said to Zephyr, "I guess I'll see you in three days." It was harder to keep the bitterness in than she'd have liked, but the blond didn't take it the wrong way. "Don't get eaten. That would really suck."

"Mhm, love you too," Zephyr said dreamily, rolling her eyes before she kissed the camera. Yasmina smiled before doing the same, imagining it was happening without the distance between them. "And remember, if something chases you..." She finished in a whisper, "Run." Grinning, Yaz hung up on the blond.