Happy Birthday, Eddie! 2/2

[Gentics lab]

"Signal's choppy," Zephyr said, sounding miserable. While the others stood outside, scrutinising the lab, Yasmina's priority was on the blond on the other line—she hated that she was still only speaking to her through something. "I can't stay on the line for much longer. I've got to get Claire's nephews back to her before she loses it, and I need to cut through the old park to get there the fastest."

Yasmina wanted to be selfish and tell Zephyr to take the long way to the park, but she knew the blond wouldn't in a million years even risk that with everything that was going on. "It's okay," she said instead. "Just stay safe... and don't leave me on this damn island, alright?" Though the last part was said jokingly, Zephyr replied in a passionate voice that had Yasmina's heart doing this strange double-beat she didn't love... definitely not.

"I'm not leaving this island unless you're right there with me," she said. Yasmina smiled. "Be safe. Be smart. Be lucky. Keep heading to the park, and I'll see you soon." There was a pause before Zephyr whispered, "I love you."

"Don't become the prettiest theme park death victim," Yasmina joked, glad to hear the blond chuckle. Yaz sighed as the connection became extra choppy, then whispered, "Don't get eaten. That would really suck..." It made her feel cold when static answered—Yaz put the radio down and bumped her forehead on the steering wheel before getting out and joining the others.

"Looks pretty abandoned," Brooklynn muttered, looking worriedly at the lab. Yasmina stood beside her, nervously twisting her amber ring, and the pink-haired girl glanced at her. "What'd Zephyr say?"

"Just to keep heading to the park," Yasmina answered. "And that she'll find us. Eventually."

"I don't like that 'eventually' part."

"Yeah," Yaz agreed quietly. "Same."

Steeling her nerves, Yasmina headed inside, with the others following behind her. That the motion-sensor doors all worked was a relief, but the lack of lighting proved Brooklynn's earlier observation true. In the lab, where Yaz had looked around at all the ancient mosquitos frozen in brightly coloured amber, the only source of light in the entire place came from a birthday cake with eight candles. Darius, bemused, muttered when he saw the cake. Just as he finished, a man in a lab coat and party hat jumped out from behind the cake, screaming, and turned the light on.

Yasmina did the only rational thing...

...She threw a knife at the crazy guy.

Luckily, it passed by his head, cutting the strap of his party hat and stuck into the shelves behind him, quivering. A gasp escaped the terrified scientist before he slumped onto the table beside the cake. "Not dinosaurs. You're not dinosaurs," he whined. "Just a knife-wielding maniac!" Yasmina glowered at him, ignoring the others, and went to collect Zephyr's knife. "This is the worst birthday ever..." Brooklynn slid down the wall in dejection.

Kenji nodded furtively at the cake. "Um, you gonna eat that?"

Yasmina hopped onto the table as the others served themselves some cake. Sammy stood nearby, but Yasmina was too focused on what Brooklynn was doing. The pink-haired girl was fiddling with the landline while "Eddie" didn't bother listening to Darius's summary of the day's events. "You're sure you closed the door behind you, right?" The scientist asked, and Yaz frowned at the paranoia oozing from his tone.

"I think so," Darius said hesitantly.

Eddie whirled on him. "You think, or you know?"

Kenji belched behind his fist—at least he had some manners—and Darius and Eddie looked at him. "Sorry, did you want it back?" The rich kid offered his second plate of birthday cake to the scientist. Yasmina snorted and jumped off the table, going to Brooklynn to help with the phone.