Prologue

Somewhere in Mojave Desert.

The thick warm air coated my skin like an unwelcoming blanket. It was a sensation I couldn't shake off, an uncomfortable embrace that seemed to suffocate my Montana-bred body. I had insisted on journeying further up the state, hoping to escape the stifling heat, all in pursuit of catching a glimpse of the elusive comet. But Travis, stubborn as ever, had his mind firmly set on the perfect location. Once he made a decision, there was no swaying him.

As I peered through the lens of my telescope, a bead of sweat trickled down my temple, momentarily blurring my vison. With a frustrated sigh, I reached up, using the sleeve of my shirt to swipe away the nuisance. "This comet better be worth it," I muttered, shooting a glance in Travis's direction.

Unfazed by my grumbling, he remained fixated on his own telescope, his gaze locked onto the celestial spectacle like a determined predator. "Oh, it will be worth it alright," he assured me, his voice carrying a quiet confidence that belied the discomfort of our surroundings.

Beneath the blanket of the midnight sky, ablaze with balls of gas we call stars that shimmered like scattered jewels, I found myself lost in the vast expanse above. Each flickering light represented a distant galaxy, a world waiting to be explored. My heart soared with the possibility of uncovering new wonders.

It was a fascination that consumed me, an insatiable thirst for knowledge that had brought Travis and me together, bonding us over our shared passion for the cosmos. The universe was a canvas of mysteries for us to be together and reveal in its secrets.

A gentle breeze whispered through the silent canyon, its cool caress offering a brief respite from the oppressive heat. I breathed in deeply, savoring the fleeting relief as it washed over me.

Turning his gaze away from the celestial spectacle above, Travis finally directed his attention over my way. The moon's radiant glow illuminated his features, bringing a soft halo around his figure. "What's troubling you, my love?" he inquired, his voice a soothing melody amidst the tranquil night.

Caught in the depths of his hazel-green eyes, reminiscent the hues of Venus herself, I found myself momentarily speechless. The weight of my concerns faded away in the presence of his unwavering gaze, leaving me unable to articulate the thoughts that had weighed upon my mind.

"Listen, I know this isn't the most romantic spot we've ventured to," he began, his voice deep and soothing cadence against the backdrop of our makeshift campground. With deliberate movements he reached for his pen and notepad, jotting down a few notes before resting them on the foldable table between us. "But this area... it's like having the best seat in town," he chuckled softly, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes. "The best seat in the world."

I surveyed our humble quarters, taking in the sight of our small pop-up tent nestled snugly on the bed of our truck. The memory of the spider I had encountered earlier that morning crept through my mind, its formidable size leaving me unwilling to brave the ground beneath. My gaze swept over the familiar elements of our campsite: two dim lanterns casting a soft glow, a pair of weathered chairs, and the sturdy table that served as the center of our stargazing endeavors, along with both of our telescopes.

Meeting his stare once more, I allowed my irritation to simmer beneath the surface, silently pleading for him to recognize my desire to bring our nit to a close. "It's been over six hours, and the comet still hasn't made an appearance," I stated firmly, crossing my arms and legs in a gesture of finality. The weight of my words hung between us, a silent plea for understanding as the night stretched on.

"Jasmine, this comet has only graced our solar system once before," Travis remarked, rising from his lengthy six-hour vigil. "And that was fifty thousand years ago." His hands moved with a fluidity born of passion, punctuating his words with sweeping gestures. "Mike and Gary calculated the probability of this being its final orbit with us at ninety-eight percent accuracy."