Chapter Two- Cigarettes

Walking over, the sight greeted me: the girls, nestled comfortably in my car, engaged in animated conversation. My attention was then drawn to the subtle chime of my phone, a familiar sound amidst the bustling noise of traffic. I reached into my pocket, fingers fumbling with the weight of the items in my hand. Retrieving the device, I glanced at the screen, where an image accompanied by a message from my mother awaited.

In the photograph, her thick brown curls cascaded around her face, framing her features in a soft embrace. Her smile, radiant and genuine, seemed to breathe life into the pixels. It was a smile I hadn't seen in a long time.

Another notification buzzed, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Won't be home in time to get Tio today. I got to stay overnight. There's an overflow at the emergency center of the hospital so they need to use part of the hospice section for incoming patients."

Another message followed, punctuated by an achy emoji face, a digital wince that conveyed the weight of the situation.

"Its so crazy today", she laminated.

My heart sank as I absorbed the implications. "Shit," I muttered under my breath, fingers moving swiftly to compose a response.

"I got to work tomorrow morning, Lee called out, again." I typed, the words tapping out in a blur of urgency.

It was the second time in a row, Lee failed to respond to our boss's calls, leaving me to cover for her absence. I couldn't fathom the reason behind her sudden unreliability. She was well aware of me watching over my little brother. Her not showing up meant double the workload, and no doubt would invite a stern earful when our paths next crossed.

Balancing the weight of assignments and the demands of two jobs grew increasingly burdensome with each passing day. As graduation loomed on the horizon, the inevitability of prioritizing work over further education became glaringly apparent. Though I had yet to broach the subject with my mother, the truth lingered unspoken: college held no place in my future plans.

The thought of abandoning my family when they need me most pressed heavy against my heart.

Glancing back at the screen, I watched as the familiar three dots danced across the display, signaling my mother's reply. Another ping resonated through the silence, heralding her response.

"I won't be home until later in the day, I'll text Monica and see if she can watch Tio for you. I'm sure she won't mind."

Relief washed over me at the mention of our neighbor Monica who lived up on level fifteen. She had always been a beacon of support in times of need. Without her, I wasn't sure how we would manage.

I slipped the phone back into my pocket, the cool metal a reassuring presence against my skin.

"Did you get them?" Kara's voice floated from the back seat, merging with Becky's expectant gaze.

I hadn't even had the chance to shut my door when Kara leaned forward, her arm outstretched in anticipation.

"Sit back down, dummy," I murmured, my voice a hushed warning. "Jimmy's on high alert." With a sigh, I brushed the side swept curtain of hair that veiled my coco-colored eye before igniting the engine.

Kara swiftly retreated, muttering a curse under her breath as she settled back into her seat. My eyes flickered to the store window where he had spotted them, scanning for any sign of Jimmy's presence.

When he failed to materialize, I exhaled a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding, relief washing over me in a wave.

Finally, with hawk-like vigilance now behind us, I tossed the pack of cigarettes into the back seat for Miss Ansy Pants. "You almost got me caught," I chided, my tone tinged with a mix of annoyance and amusement.