Chapter Twelve-With All My Heart

Dominic and I made a silent agreement to leave Sammy behind as we closed the room door behind us, enveloping ourselves in darkness with only the moonlight to lead our way around. I opted for a butcher knife from his kitchen, finding it wieldier than the gun he retrieved from behind his back. We agreed that moving without a light source would minimize our chances of attracting unwanted attention from the lurking zombies and we didn't think holding a candle would light much anyway. Gripping the largest wrench I had ever seen, Dominic held it tightly as we stood in tense silence, straining to detect any hint of movement beyond the door. Objects barricading the door lay scattered to the side.

When the moment was right, Dominic took the lead, cautiously stepping out into the hallway. I followed closely behind, grateful that my apartment door wasn't too far away. Yet each step through the pitch-black corridor felt like an eternity, the darkness swallowing us whole.

I clung to Dominic's shirt for guidance, relying on his presence to navigate the unseen obstacles ahead. Despite the absence of light, the putrid stench of decay assaulted my senses once more, its foul odor clinging to every breath. I tried to block it out, resorting to breathing through my mouth, but the acrid taste of misery still pervaded.

A sudden thud jolted me out of my thoughts, and I reached out instinctively, steadying Dominic as he stumbled over an unseen obstruction. "There's something in the way. Watch your step," he cautioned, taking a bold stride forward and leaving my hand free from his grasp.

Trapped in the suffocating darkness, I felt a wave of claustrophobia wash over me, the imaginary walls closing in around me. The urge to curl up and retreat consumed me, but I clung to the memory of the bright yellow Pokémon walkie-talkie, a beacon of hope guiding my steps forward.

Feeling my way through the darkness, I cautiously lifted my foot, probing the unknown obstacle in my path. As I attempted to step over it, a squishy sound beneath my shoe threw off my balance, sending me crashing to my knees. The cold metal of the knife slipped from my grasp, just beyond my reach, but I managed to retrieve it, the chill of its blade a stark contrast to the warmth of my palm.

Trying to maneuver around the obstruction, I felt something snag at my other foot, holding me captive. Desperate to break free, I traced my fingers along my shoe, encountering a series of textures: soft fabric, followed by something wet and cold, then what felt like hair. Near my shoe, my fingers brushed against my shoelace, tracing its length until I encountered a small, cold metal object attached to it. Further exploration revealed the oval, bendy texture of an ear, causing a shiver of revulsion to run down my spine.

"Camila," Dominic's voice broke through the darkness, his hands reaching out to assist me. "Shit, sorry," he muttered, the realization dawning upon him as he was groping my butt.

Despite the circumstances, a small smile tugged at my lips at his genuine mistake. "Sure you are," I replied lightly, allowing him to help me to my feet. "I can't, my shoe is stuck."

Bending down, Dominic traced his hand along my leg to my shoe, and with a swift motion, he freed me with a satisfying pop. "Thank you," I expressed my gratitude as I stood on my feet again.

His soft chuckle echoed in the darkness, a fleeting moment of levity that momentarily whisked us away from the perilous reality. But the screech at the end of the hall swiftly yanked us back, a harsh reminder of the danger lurking around every corner. Gripping his hand tightly, we quickened our pace, the urgency propelling us forward.

Navigating by touch, we located my door, the familiarity of the knob guiding our hands. With practiced precision, Dominic set to work, the faint sound of metal against metal signaling his attempts to pick the lock. With a muted click, the door yielded, and we rushed inside, slamming it shut behind us.