Chapter Seven-Have you been with a Bronx girl?

Santiago's urgent voice pierced the air, directing Dominics attention to the screen. His eyes, fixed on the games, remained unwavering as he sat crossed-legged on the carpet, fully immersed in the digital world unfolding before him.

"Left," Tio's command echoed, his tone conveying the gravity of the situation.

Without hesitation, Dom maneuvered his character in the indicated direction. In the virtual realm, anticipation hung thick like honey as he followed my little brother's guidance. Evidence of a gaming head set on Dom's couch I had seen earlier, gave me the feeling he knew way more of this game than he was putting off. It was sweet though, that he let Tio tell him where to go and what to do.

Suddenly, an adversary emerged from the shadows, met swiftly by Dominic's calculated shots. The screen erupted in a blaze of light as the opponents character transcended, leaving behind a trail of loot for others to scavenge.

Following a satisfying meal of pizza, Santiago's enthusiasm for another round of gaming was palpable. What began as a casual promise of gaming, stretched into the night, the clock's hands creeping towards eleven. Despite the lateness of the hour, Dom seemed content and happy to be here.

His presence brought a fresh breeze into the room, easing the awkwardness with his relaxed vibe. As our conversation unfolded, his layers peeled back like petals unfurling in the sun.

His admission about his job stirred curiosity, painting a richer picture of the guy I'd only glimpsed before. Without explicitly mentioning his dealings, his mention of his mechanic shop hinted at a deeper story about his life other than what I had previously thought.

Between shared anecdotes and hearty laughter, unspoken bonds formed. Dominic's tales of wrenches and grease sparked a lively exchange about our respective occupations, bridging the gap between strangers. It was refreshing to connect with someone who understood the value of hard work without having to say it outright.

Glancing between my little brother, who was engrossed in the game, and Dominic seated beside me on the couch, a smile crept onto my face. Despite his youthful twenty-one years, revealed during our earlier conversation, he seemed just as enthralled by the game as my eight-year-old brother.

"Watch your three o'clock," Dominic advised Tio, his attention still fixed on the screen.

"What does three o'clock mean, dude?" Tio replied, his gaze unwavering.

I chuckled as Dominic and I exchanged a glance, his smile causing a flutter in my chest. "Slightly to your right, you'll spot them," he instructed.

A thunderous explosion erupted from the TV as Santiago launched a grenade at the enemy. "Jackpot!" Tio exclaimed.

"You're a natural," Dom praised my brother, leaning down to pat him on the shoulder.

"You two crack me up, seriously addicted to this game," I remarked with a chuckle, adjusting my pillow on the couch. Watching them felt as though they were immersed in a real battlefield, their simple exchanges and shared tactics illustrating their camaraderie and teamwork.

"Give it a shot," Dominic urged, offering me the controller.

"I'd rather just watch you guys," I replied, feigning enthusiasm for gameplay.

"She'll get us oofed," Tio interjected, already predicting what will happen.

He wasn't wrong. I knew my lack of gaming prowess would only hinder them most definitely. I recalled Tio's futile attempts to teach me the basics, but those skills had long since escaped my memory.

"You got this," Dom reassured me, drawing closer until our sides touched, his warmth enveloping me. The scent of his woodsy cologne lingered in the air, enticing me to steal another discreet sniff. "Here, just keep your fingers on the trigger," he instructed, guiding my hands to hold the controller correctly and positioning my fingers on the buttons.