12- Forgiveness

Arni risked a glance at Arjun. He was driving with a pensieve look on his face. She couldn't help but live in the moment of relief. Perhaps he had forgotten? Though her brain was very confident that such a thing was next to impossible yet she hoped against hope. Only if she knew that the relief was short lived.

Because ten minutes later, the once joyous silence turned torturous. This was not done! Wasn't he supposed to scold her for her actions just like her chachu does? He was supposed to ease out her guilt rather than streching the silence. 

Ten more minutes and she was two steps away from herself confronting him about the situation at hand. If only, they hadn't reached the house she would have brought the topic up.

She threw her bag on the couch and sat down heavily. She was tired. The entire day she had anticipated his reaction. She had imagined all the inhumane punishments he could inflict on her. He was a police officer afterall! Perhaps he would treat her like a criminal. She gulped. She hoped that was not true. A little scolding would work just fine with her.

While Arnika was lost in her own dual thoughts, Arjun had an entirely distinct dilema. He took his own sweet time parking the car. The teacher's words and Arnika's attitude was troubling him. He knew that he ought to have a talk with her but his apprehensions held him back.

Who was he to confront her about her behaviour today when he wasn't there to correct it yesterday. He banged his head on the steering wheel in frustation! A notification popped on his phone. He checked it. Kabir had posted something on IG and tagged him. He frowned. Wasn't he pissed off? He checked his post.

There is a fine balance between honouring the past and losing yourself in it. For example,you can acknowledge and learn from mistakes you made, and then move on and refocus on the now. It is called forgiving yourself.                                                                                                                                                                                         - Eckhart Tolle

Arjun's expressions changed as he read it. He closed his eyes and leaned against his seat. How could his so called friend know him so well? He didn't even share his grievances with him and he was already here with a solution. He wondered if he was really jealous of this man. And his heart screamed: YES!

Arni looked up and said- "Kya hai mumma? Koi aur nahi Mila aapko shaadi karne ke liye? Kaise pati hai aapke? Ekdum unpredictable. Subah dekhkar laga tha jaise abhi volcano erupt hoga and abhi ekdum calm sea ki tarah baithe the! Samjha do aap apne pati ko ki mujhe itna irritate na Kiya kare!"

Her not so low musings were interrupted with a whack on her head. "Ouch!" she said and looked back. Arjun was glaring at her.

She gulped nervously- "Aapne kuch nahi suna na?"

Arjun- "Sab kuch suna,madam."

Arni cringe at his choice of words- "No need for the taunts!" She rolled her eyes. Arjun flicked her head and pointed out the condition of the living room. She bit her tongue as she realised that it looked nothing less than a disaster.

She cleaned after her and escaped to her room. She quickly freshened up and sat down on the bed with a huff. Why couldn't they just get over with it?

Arjun leaned on the doorframe and looked at Arni who was deep in thought.

Arjun- "Khana khane ke liye special invitation dena padega,madam?"

Arni clicked her tongue and looked at him annoyed.