18- Broken Hope

Arjun sat outside the ICU with this head in his hands. His mind was racing with a thousand horrifying thoughts. Each possibility sent a chill down his spine. The journey from the road to the hospital had been a blur. He had been driving like a madman with Kabir continuously barking for him to slow down before they kill themselves.

As soon as he closed his eyes, the image of Arni lying lifelessly in her own pool of blood came rushing to his mind. He opened his eyes at once. He couldn't help but think about that ominous day.

Flashback

Arjun heard the faint rustling sound coming from the back garden. He guessed that it must be Roshni tending to her plants. She had some crazy obsession with those plants. She spent half of her time surrounded by them.

As he walked  towards the garden, a small smile graced his lips as he saw the decoration in the living room. A table adorned  with balloons, cake and flowers and a big surprise banner behind it. It exuded an air of celebration and promise of happiness, a stark contrast to the impending doom.

He was about to walk towards it, when he heard a loud scream from the garden. The hair on his neck rose in alarm. He raced towards the garden.

Roshni lay on the ground, her cream-colored saree stained crimson with blood, wounds marring her once serene form. The brutality of the scene struck him like a physical blow, igniting a sense of horror within him.

He swiftly ran towards her and took her in his arms. He heard a monstrous laugh from the other direction. His gaze followed the sound and his eyes blazed with anger.

Arjun- "SIKANDAR!!"

He took out his revolver from the back pocket. Sikandar showed him three fingers and then lowered down two of them. He showed him his forefinger and disappeared in the shadow.

Arjun let go of his revolver and hugged Roshni close to his body. He tried to help her up but Roshni stopped him. The premonition of her demise was far too strong to be ignored.

She cupped Arjun's face and brought it closer to hers. She gently kissed his forehead and uttered her last words with a mix of sadness and hope.

"A-Arni ka khayal rakhiyega, Arjun."

His breathing hitched. He couldn't even fulfil her last wish. He didn't look after his daughter. He neglected her like a coward, too scared to face his fear. He treated her like an unwanted responsibility rather than the priced possession she was.

Years back, Sikandar had snatched away the love of his life and today he had endangered the reason of his life.

Realisation struck him like thunder. Since years, he had lived in a fake presumption that revenge was the sole reason of his life. He was wrong. So incredibly wrong. His daughter, his Arni was the reason he returned home every night. His feet immediately lead him towards her room every night. His hands reflexively found them carrassing her hair. His heart loved her.

He felt his heart beating rapidly. The heart that he was so sure was dead. The heart that could love no one. The heart that had departed with Roshni's soul.

The years passed on like a movie infront of his eyes. How he had seen her grow up under the blanket. How she had proved to be an exact replica of her mother. How her eyes always held a yearning for his love.

In return of all the love and trust she showered upon him, he had only given her tears and misery. And today....a shudder ran down his spine as the thought of losing her crossed his mind.

The doctor stepped out of the ICU. Both Kabir and Arjun raced towards him.

Doctor- "She is alright. Ye toh accha hai ki koi major collision nahi tha. Just a sprained leg, a few stitched and a broken arm. 2 din me discharge kara sakte hai."