chapter ten

We dress and head out for Conner's house. I see an unmarked car behind me following close by. But it doesn't alarm me. I know it's a gaurd. I called dad, and he pulled some of his men to follow us, especially Harmony. Her safety was high, not my charts.

As we pulled into Conner's driveway, I noticed the other unmarked vehicles close by. I park beside Jessica's red Mercedes getting out. I go around opening Harmony's door.

She looks absolutely gorgeous tonight. Wearing a long red dress that hugged her hips beautifully. Dipping low in the front to show off the top of her rounded beast. With thin straps and no back. She wears her hair up in a twist, living some strans down, framing her beautiful face. Her eyes and lips are painted a soft color bring attention to them. I take her hand, leading her into the house.

There are already others there. More than there was at the cookout the other day. Chad meets us as we enter the foyer.

"David, Harmony," Chad says

"How's everything?" I ask him

"Good, Conner and Jess are in the den," he tells us

"Place looks a bit packed," I tell him as we walk together

"Yeah, Conners family is here plus a couple of out of town friends," he tells us

"Happy Birthday, Conner," I tell him as we step into the den with the others

"Thanks, Harmony. You look lovely tonight," he says

"Thank you," she whispers. "Happy Birthday"

He gives her a smile, and we mingle throughout the night. Talking and laughing with friends. I keep a watchful eye out for James or even Kaleb, but I don't see either one of them. Around eleven, I noticed Conner slip into his office. When he comes back out, he looks a bit worried.

"I be right back," I tell Harmony

She's talking with Jessica and Rachel about something. She nods, and I kiss her cheek. Leaving her with them, I find Conner. He's over by the drinks, and I grab myself one.

"Everything ok?" I ask him

"Yeah, it's just James said he would be here," he told me

"And he hasn't shown"

"I'm worried he's in some kind of trouble, David," he tells me

"So you don't know where he is,"

He shakes his head. "No, I haven't seen him since the cookout. He's been hanging around Kaleb. I can't stand that guy. "

"Let's walk," I tell him

We start out back toward the pool. It's a clear night, and the stars are bright. The scent of fresh bleach and water hangs in the air.

"You know I'm your friend, right?" I tell him

"Yeah, we always been friends. What's going on?"

"I don't know if what I'm going to tell you is going change that or not."

He stops looking at me. "What is it?"

"You know why James went to prison, don't you?"

He nods. "Some girl claimed he molested her," he says. "He said she was lying,"

"He was in there on rape charges." I told him

"What, I think I would know about that," he says

"I didn't until the other night."

"How did you find out?" he asked

"Because I'm dating the girl he raped,"

He looks toward the house "fuck David" he says rubbing a hand over his mouth