𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓.

Play Ivy- Frank Ocean🎶🎧

Jorja's Pov
Ebony was struggling with the anxiety of impending motherhood. Discovering that one of her most formidable challenges was the ordeal of nearly becoming a mother, emphasizing the 'nearly' due to an abusive relationship, had inflicted such stress upon her that it tragically resulted in the loss of her child.

I didn't want to make this about myself right now, but deep down inside, I felt guilty for burdening Ebony with all of this. Being the kind of person who wants to help Solèigh and prevent her from going through the same struggles I faced as a child, made me feel selfish for relying too much on Ebony.

I don't want her to feel overwhelmed by becoming a mother again. Soléigh was only six years old, so we didn't expect her to understand the responsibilities of us becoming a mother to her. Although we weren't her biological parents, we fully grasped that obligations came with it.

Despite the facade Ebony was constructing, it was overly clear to me she was overwhelmed. She often masked her stress, sparing others from worry, but her silence spoke volumes; I understood.

The last thing I desired was for her to succumb to stress. It's essential that this fresh chapter in our lives promotes mental and physical well-being for Ebony, Soléigh, and me.

To compound the stress, I discovered yesterday that Olivia had actually been inside my home. I was conflicted about how to react, knowing someone who had caused me so much trouble in my past life had entered the home where my family rested their heads.

Ebony, who was livid upon realizing who Olivia was, immediately empathized with my stance and decided she would no longer take her on as a client. I'm relieved Olivia didn't see me, so she won't recognize me to get any ideas.

I extracted my key and stepped through the door after leaving Solèigh at daycare. Even though I wasn't scheduled to work today, Solèigh was eager to attend due to the planned activities. Soon, we would be having the talk of enrolling her into actual school...

I was somewhat against about leaving her there, uncertain if her mom might impulsively decide to pick her up. However, I made it clear to the daycare staff that she was only permitted to leave with either me or Ebony.

As I walked towards the dining room, I noticed an empty wine bottle lying next to Ebony on the table. There was another full bottle nearby, which I knew she planned to drink next. Seeing this, I felt a bit upset and quickly picked up the bottle.

"You just finished an entire bottle, Ebony. It's not even 2 o'lock yet. Having a few sips is okay, but this is too much," I stressed, making her snap her head towards me in anger.

Ebony rose from her chair, reaching to reclaim the unopened bottle of red wine, but I deftly concealed it behind my back. "Jorja, quit being childish and hand over the bottle. I wasn't even planning to drink it right now!" she slurred, gripping the table for stability.