𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎 [⚠︎︎]

Jorja's PovThe air in New York had an unfamiliar quality to it, filled with the anticipation of my impending proposal to Ebony

Jorja's Pov
The air in New York had an unfamiliar quality to it, filled with the anticipation of my impending proposal to Ebony. My mother, Cassandra, driven us on a half-hour journey away from the city to an exclusive jeweler renowned for its collection of wedding bands. She shared that this place held a cherished significance for her; it was the very spot where my father had selected her very own wedding ring.

It added a whole new layer of depth to my day, finally being a part of a family tradition I've always yearned for. I've never had the chance to share such moments with a family before, but now that I've connected with my mom, I can't ignore this strong desire to have that special bond. Our blossoming relationship pulls me to seek the mother-daughter connection I never had.

Perhaps some might question my judgment for trusting the woman responsible for my damaged childhood, but such skepticism no longer concerns me. I am prepared to embrace the risk, even if it means exposing myself to greater heartache.

My heart was a symphony of emotion as I walked alongside my mother, through the urban maze of their city. With each step towards the jewelry store, my thoughts were consumed by Ebony – her laugh, her touch, her presence. The anticipation of our future together sent a thrilling shiver up my spine.

Hesitation was no feeling that I felt on this decision to propose. Being her girlfriend, and her being mine, was fulfilling, yet it felt incomplete now. I longed to completely seal our life together. I envisioned our names united on a marriage certificate. Ebony, a dreamer who drowned in love and cherished being loved, deserved to see her dreams realized.

I was determined to bring her fantasies to life.

The ring we were about to choose was more than just a piece of jewelry; it was evidence of our love, a love that had grown and flourished amidst the chaos of life itself. I could feel the heavy weight on my shoulders at the moment, knowing that this ring would illustrate both our commitment and dreams.

It was just so exciting.

Ebony had no idea at all about what was really happening. It pained me to lie to her, telling her that my mom and I were just casually 'catching' up over lunch, and she believed it. Ebony remained oblivious to my true intentions, and I wanted to maintain that. My goal was to make this entire experience extraordinary for her, for the both of us.

Being aware of Ebony's ring size spared me from tipping my hand too soon with obvious questions. Everything was aligning seamlessly, and I was intent on maintaining that harmony.

I had this grand vision of booking us a getaway to Santorini, Greece, just the pair of us. I'd arrange a private rooftop evening beneath the stars, and after dinner, that's when I'd leave my lasting impression.

I'd hire a creative team to decorate the walkway that would lead to the very moment. I aimed to make the experience special and unforgettable. With Ebony's past trials, both before and since our paths crossed, I yearned for her to shed the weight of her history and immerse herself in the depth of affection I had to offer.