.19 ↠ safe & sound

lowercases are intentional.

   safe & sound.

(based off
safe & sound - Taylor Swift, The Civil Wars)

boom. the bunker door swung open. Branch instinctively stopped making his bed, and turned around. He snatched a whittled stick and shot himself into a defensive position. The door to his room was closed as the weary troll listened for more noises. Intruder.

But he lowered his position when he heard a familiar voice. But it wasn't words he recognized. It was a sound. The sound of crying. poppy.

branch rushed out of his room, seeing the pink troll come down the elevator with tears in her eyes. The platform lowered and she hurdled to branch with her tears streaming along her face. "branch.."

She smacked into him and embraced the blue troll in the deepest hug she could give. It caused them to fall on the floor. Branch laid her down on the ground and sat in the hug. "Poppy, what's going on?" He looked at the queen, taking her hands away from her face and wiping away a tear.

"I'm scared, I'm so scared." She held onto his shirt with a strong grip. Branch put his hand on hers, rubbing his thumb across her hand, "of what?"

"That you'll leave me." She sniffled, "you'll leave me here alone."

"No.." he muttered to his upset girlfriend, pushing her hair out her exhausted face, "no, poppy, I'm not gonna leave you."

branch pulled her into his chest as she weeped. Her tears soaked his shirt. "Just close your eyes." He brushed her pink hair with his fingers, looking down at poppy on the ground. "It'll be alright."

Slowly, poppy got more tired and leaned into him. The sounds of her sobbing muffled. "Come the morning light," branch whispered into her ear comfortingly, "you and I'll be safe and sound."

"I'm sorry." She wiped away the wetness on her face, and looked up at the blue troll with red eyes, "I don't want you to ever leave me."

"Get rid of those fears." He kissed her forehead, and her nose. "I'd never leave you. Ever." After a silence, he hummed the tired queen a small lullaby to calm her down. And poppy's body slowly sank into his, as he cradled her.

Poppy fell asleep on branch, gripping his shirt in her hands. He lifted the pink troll off the floor, bringing her to his room. Wiping the last tears from her eyes, he laid her down on the bed and tucked her in. The queen wrapped her arms around herself in her sleep.

branch gave her kisses on her forehead and her cheeks and her brow, she smiled deeply. And when he got into bed with her, branch fell asleep with poppy in his arms.