Chapter 11: Moment Of Truth Again

"Catnap, I... why didn't you tell me about this beforehand? I could've helped you," you asked Catnap. "I-I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I was too nervous, I don't like thinking about it. It traumatizes me. Just telling someone ruins my day," Catnap explained. You were upset that he didn't tell you before, but you didn't really blame him. "Hey, it's alright. Just... listen. I just want you to know that you can talk to me about anything. If there's any other insecurities or bad memories you'd like to tell me about, I want you to tell me now, so I can help you get over it and move on. I want you to look at the positives of things," you said. "You really mean that?" Catnap asked you. "Really! I care about you. I love you," you reassured him. "You... love me?" Catnap asked you. "Well, of course I do! That's what relationships are about," you answered. Catnap was shocked, he was speechless. He was at the verge of crying tears of joy. "Wow, I just... I've never been told that before. All of the babysitters and employees at this orphanage were so rude to me... I was never once told that I was actually loved. None of the other orphans were, either... you have no idea how much this means to me. I love you too, darling," Catnap said. "Want me to be honest with you? I was always an introvert when I was still human. I was very shy. I always thought of myself as a nerd, so I never socialized with anyone. I was too scared of the possibility that I might nerd out and get made fun of and get embarrassed, I honestly would've went and killed myself if I was able to get out of this God forsaken orphanage. But you saved me from wanting to do that. You've... helped me. You boosted my confidence. You boosted my self esteem," Catnap admitted.

You felt awful for Catnap. He basically told you that he isolated himself from the other children because he was a nerd. "I'm so glad I could help you. You mean the world to me. You're my own, personal miracle," you complimented Catnap. "And you were mine. No, that's an understatement. You're more than a miracle. Thanks to us meeting, you were able to help me. Me meeting you was the cause, and you helping me was the effect," Catnap said. Then he realized it. His inner nerd self was still in there. He had used the cause and effect relationship to compare the relationship between you and him. "And hey, I don't know what the chances are of meeting someone as beautiful and sweet as you, but the probability is definitely near zero," Catnap said. There he went, he decided to nerd out again, but this time, it was math probability. "Huh... that seems like something I'd say when I was a kid," Catnap said. "Maybe my childhood self is still in there somewhere," Catnap continued. "You know, you're a really awesome nerd. You're so sweet, so kind," you comforted Catnap. "You mean that?" Catnap asked you. "I really do. Being a nerd isn't a bad thing. Those normal stereotypes of nerds being annoying people that correct everyone all the time are just... wrong. Nerds are smart, selfless people, and that's why I love you, so please, stay this way. I love your personality so much. It's amazing. I want to work on making you look more at the positive side of things instead of the negatives," you answered. "You know what? You're right, dear. Sure, the negatives are always there, but you helped me realize that the positives always overcome them. The positives always push them into the background," Catnap said. "That's the spirit! Just keep that up, and you'll be patched up from your past wounds in no time," you said.

You had decreased Catnap's shyness, and increased his confidence, and wanted it to keep going that direction. "And you know what? I just now have realized, you've been the one giving me the compliments this whole time. Now it's my turn to return the favor to my little miracle," Catnap said. "Aw, you're so sweet, you know that?" You complimented him. "Well, I do now, thanks to a little someone," Catnap said. You giggled. "Oooh, I wonder who that was," you said playfully. You were playing along with his little jokes, he was honestly adorable to you making jokes about how you guys compliment each other like that. And just like that, Catnap had finally built up the courage and confidence to say it to you. 

"I love you," Catnap said.