10 | ice creams

₊‧꒰ა❤︎໒꒱ ‧₊

Sana locked the door behind her and trudged down the staircase with Mani.

"You want chocolate?"

Mani nodded, in response. Sana checked her purse. There was enough cash. Patting it, she placed it inside her small sling bag and continued on. On the way, they caught sight of Vihan and Shrest, who had been lingering around the swings in the playground.

"Where are you two going?" An eager Vihan quickly stepped towards them.

"The Ice cream parlor."

Vihan and Shrest glanced at each other. "We'll join in."

"Do you guys have enough cash on you for it, though?"

Shrest nodded. "I always carry a hundred on me."

The group of four trudged out of the apartment. Vihan and Mani had unconsciously broke out of the group and were moving ahead, with Vihan constantly snickering and grinning and Mani giving him side-eyes.

Shrest and Sana padded on the sidewalk behind them.

The sky that loomed overhead, was a canvas of pink and purple with tinges of navy blue lingering on the edges of the horizon. Birds flew about, moving towards their nests and homes. Lights were starting to flicker on in the buildings.

Sana had missed simply watching her surroundings. That was therapy in itself. Entering 10th grade had meant sacrificing the scenery for her books. It felt overwhelmingly lonely too, despite her being used to having her nose in her books always.

"I'm planning on picking humanities." Shrest spoke up, suddenly. His tone was soft.

Sana blinked. "I thought you were picking the science stream."

Shrest shook his head.

"Oh. Ok."

A pause.

"What are you planning on doing?"

"Art."

"Art?" Sana looked up at him. "It doesn't have much scope in terms of jobs. Are you absolutely sure you want to do that?"

Shrest nodded, slowly. "I don't want to waste my years working hard on a subject I have no interest in."

"I see."

Silence followed, until they reached the ice cream parlor.

"What would you like to order?"

"On strawberry and One chocolate." Sana answered, proceeding to pay for it. "Separate bills for us and the boys, please."

The cashier nodded.

"One strawberry for me too." Shrest said, glancing down at the ice creams stored.

"You like strawberry too?" Mani asked.

Shrest shrugged. "I acquired a taste for it."

Vihan inspected the flavors and said, "One Pista ice cream."

The three of them stared at him.

"What?"

"Pista? Of all the flavors, Pista?" Mani stared at him, horrified.

"It's a superior flavor compared to the rest."

All three of them snickered in response.

"What? Just because you guys don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't the best flavour."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, brother." Shrest responded, snickering still.

The group of four collected their ice creams and sat together, devouring it.

Before they left, Sana went to ask for the parcel of another ice cream for her mother. Shrest leaned against the railing near the parking lot and watched the sky. Mani stood next to him, gazing at her sister, through the glass window.

"I heard your mother reduced the number of shifts she used to work, a few days back."

Mani nodded, in response. After some thought, she added, "It doesn't really change a thing. Mom is still as busy as ever and my sister is more of my mother than my own mother."

A pause.

"I don't resent my mother for it." Mani let out a breath. "It is the way it is. I can't blame anyone, I guess."

Vihan, who stood next to them, entered the conversation. "I don't mean to come off as insensitive, but really it's not a bad thing at all for your parents to be preoccupied with other things than you."

Shrest and Mani turned to him.

"Do you know how much my parents nagged at me for not exiting Netflix fully before switching off the TV? Like, in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? When you switch the tv on, you can just exit out of it. What's the big deal?"

Shrest snickered as Mani stared at Vihan.

"Vihan. You're 15. Nearly 3 years to become a full adult. I think anyone would expect that you know how to exit an app before switching off the TV."

Vihan stumbled for words.

Why was Mani becoming just like her sister?

Mani continued on seriously, "I think...if you don't even know how to do that...Well, I'm pretty concerned about how you will continue to live."

Vihan, "...."

This was a brutal hit to his ego.

"Fine, damn. I'll close the app properly and ensure I fully exit it before I switch off the TV."

Mani nodded, a satisfied smile. "Good."

Vihan. "...."

Just what did this little girl think of him?

 ₊‧꒰ა❤︎໒꒱ ‧₊

wordcount: 750 words