15 | strawberries

₊‧꒰ა❤︎໒꒱ ‧₊

With the cool breeze brushing past her and the wide land with spots of red and green before her, Sana felt like she was in heaven. Not the uncomfortable situation she had imagined she would be in.

"The owner is getting us 2 chairs and a table." Shrest announced, as he approached Sana and Vidhant. Vidhant mumbled something along the lines of taking a few photos of the place and sauntered away, leaving Sana and Shrest.

"It's not a good trait for an interviewer to not be able to meet their client's eyes."

Sana said nothing. She didn't feel good about not contacting him ever since the incident but she couldn't get past her own embarrassment.

"I don't understand why you feel so ashamed."

Sana blinked.

"The job you're working in pays well, it's relaxing and it doesn't impact your mental health negatively. Why are you ashamed of yourself?"

Sana let out a sigh. How did he figure it out within a day of seeing her?

"I didn't figure it out myself, if that's what you're wondering. Vihan told me."

Was he a mind reader too now? 

"I'm not a mind reader. Your expressions give you away."

Sana couldn't resist the helpless smile from crossing her face. "I only stopped contacting you for 6 months. You missed me so much that you came looking for me at work?"

"I wasn't looking for you-"

"Mrs. Shetty confessed everything to me."

Shrest shrugged. "Then there's nothing to say."

Sana rolled her eyes. The idiot.

They had kept in touch throughout college and even through her first year and a half as a political journalist. But after she had decided to quit her job, she had refused to contact anyone, retreating into her apartment and not wanting to talk to anyone. Only Mani and Vihan had managed to break past her protective barriers.

The owner of the field walked to them carrying two chairs. Then, he made another trip carrying a table.

"Thank you, uncle." Sana said, as she sat down. "Weren't you in Shaher preparing for your next exhibition? Why did you suddenly return here?"

"The plan was always to return here, albeit a little later. But circumstances compelled me to come here a little quicker."

Sana had no doubt that 'circumstances' were referring to her.

Before they could continue the conversation, Vidhant had returned to them and Sana decided to start the interview.

She placed her recorder on the table and handed Shrest a collar mic. She, then, whipped out her notebook and phone. Nodding at Vidhant, she announced, "We'll start the interview."

Shrest nodded.

Sana pressed the recorder on.

"Mr. Gupta, let's discuss your latest exhibition which happened a month back. It was titled strawberries after its theme. What inspired that collection of artwork?"

"Quite simply strawberries."

A pause. Sana blinked.

"Can you elaborate on that?"