Chapter 1 - The...

Amara. That's my name. A weird and a quirky name you could say. It is the name given to me when I was born. Sounds like a mermaid name to me, and just when my mother said it. It is beautiful, I could quite say. It's.. unique. And awkward. When I say it to my friends they don't quite understand it with confused looks on their faces. While looking at each other, I really don't know what they would call me.

Maybe Chloe. My other name. My middle name.

Or, perhaps it's my full name given to me since birth. Amaracelly. It really doesn't have a meaning to be honest. I swear. As I was staring at my cereal bowl while I got jolted out of nowhere.

"Amara, eat your cereal properly. You're going to get cavities staring at it for centuries." She playfully said.

My mom's right. I was staring like a lunatic. I chomped on my cereal with a crunch. It tastes good. It's just chocolate milk with fruit loops. Those tasty, fruity, round cereals everyone would eat for breakfast. It's normal, and it's to die for. Except this movie I was watching next to me. It explains the trilogy of a vampire of a full moon, or something like that, I don't really understand it. It's weird.

As I swallowed. The cold glass of milk I was holding in my other hand made me choke on my throat when it said, "You can be a vampire anytime!"

Oh well- it was just an advertisement. Crazy advertisers. Throwing anything on the block just to get any source of income. As I chewed down and swallowed on my cereal, I was just about to be done eating while mom startled her newspaper with a flicking flip of its page and she looked at me. "Amara, when are you going to grow up?" She's completely random. "Get a boyfriend, start a new life, get a puppy.." She looked at me and then stared back down at her newspaper.

Mom's crazy.

Insane.

I shake my head at her while carrying my empty bowl to the kitchen. Easy for her to say. Finding a boyfriend is super tough. And it's hard to find someone that handsome. Especially when you're single. You know what am I saying? Putting my bowl down on the sink with a clink, my eyes were attended to the television portraying a Masterchef's episode of Gordon Ramsay. It was a recording she recorded just in case she wants to watch it again.

Seems to me my mother couldn't get enough of her episodes of a Chef's cooking.

"Oh, and by the way have you heard around the neighborhood? People have been talking about getting a handmaid or a maid around the house. Haven't you heard?"

Of course not.

"No." I shake my head.

"I have been thinking.. of getting a maid. Or.." She looked at me so suddenly that I almost saw she snapped her neck at me. "You could be one. Get some extra cash, work hard and get into a private school or something. You've always loved ballet skating."

Oh, mom you're exaggerating.

"It's not ballet skating mom. It's a little bit of a ballet and figure skating." Though I like skating on the ice rink far much better, ballet is always nice.

"Oh, come on. You're good at both. Choose one."

Fine, ice skating.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Mom, you're thinking this over too many times. And why am I to be a handmaid? I can't even change sheets for Christ's Sakes. Or even any other chores around the house."

"Well, if you give me time to teach you a little, you will manage." She giggled, looking down at her newspaper again.

I don't know what news she's reading that makes it so.. interesting... I've never liked newspapers. They're smelly, their texts are small, and it's.. boring.