22. not a filler

"You're here early today," I remarked as Ruggie strolled through the front door of Chicken Breast

"You're here early today," I remarked as Ruggie strolled through the front door of Chicken Breast. It had only been half an hour since school would've ended.

"Leona's in detention for a day because he pissed off one of our professors," Ruggie replied as he walked behind the counter. "Seriously, he needs to graduate already..."

"I heard from Yuu that he plans to participate in Magift next year," I snickered, "So it probably wont happen anytime soon."

Ruggie groaned dramatically and closed the kitchen door behind himself.

I huffed, then rested my chin on my palm as I leaned over the counter.

"You look quite bored today!" A voice chirped from above. "There aren't many custo-meow-r's today?"

Resisting the urge to bash my head in onto the counter, I looked up to the ceiling to see Chenya in his natural habitat. The roof vents.

"Why." I said, rubbing my eyes. "I mean, you didnt drop the roof tile onto the floor this time, but still. Why."

"Why indeed," He laughed, not moving from where he hung upside down. "You're funny!"

"Thanks 🤡"

As Chenya was about to make another remark, Ruggie pushed through the kitchen door while adjusting the cuff of his sleeve.

"Hey (Y/N), do you know where—" He froze as he made eye contact with Chenya, who beamed.

"Hello, Ruggie!"

Ruggie remained unmoving for a moment, rubbed his eyes, gave Chenya another glance then faced me. "Do you want me to call the police?"

"Actually, that would be great—"

Chenya finally jumped out of the roof, landing gracefully onto the floor. He held the roof tile in his arm like a skateboard, and his grin seemed to get wider. "You have a new hire!"

"More like a new victim."

Ruggie was staring at the dust falling from the hole in the roof, still processing the whole situation. "Does this happen often?"

"Yep," I said, then squatted down to grab the construction kit below the counter. "I'll teach you how to fix the roof. Could you grab a chair?"

Once I wrestled the tile out of Chenya's hands, I showed Ruggie how to fix the roof. Thankfully the process isn't too time consuming, and we got it done in a matter of minutes.