Chapter Ten

By the time it's time to start pushing, or how I feel that I have to push, I'm terrified

By the time it's time to start pushing, or how I feel that I have to push, I'm terrified. There's no one here with experience to deliver this child. There's nothing I wish more for now than modern medicine and a hospital. I'm propped up on a jacked rock, a dull corner digging uncomfortably into my back. With my legs propped up, I have to ignore the embarrassment of a random man staring down at my vagina. But I know this is the best we can do.

"I've never delivered a child before, but please know that I'll try my absolute everything to bring your child into this world safely," Lussios says as he presses his hands to my knees. His golden eyes stare at me in seriousness and determination.

I can do nothing but trust this man. There's not much of a choice, but past that, there's a lack of alarm bells in my head.

"I'll trust you," I tell him. With a nod, I look down at my stomach and give a withered smile. "So far, you are the only person in this world who seems to be on my side, so I'll trust you."

Lussios smiles a breathtaking smile before he pats my leg and spreads them. At least I know that my next contraction will equal pushing. So when I feel the familiar pain, I begin to push with all my might. At some point, Lussios says something about the baby crowning before I blackout.

I don't think I'm out of it for long as I snap to and get ready for a final push. Once the child is expelled, it feels like instant relief. And when I hear the shill crying of the child, I know that we've both made it and I know that we're in the clear as much as we can be.

With a lack of towels or clothes, Lussios puts the blood and white coated baby in my arms. In my past life, I would have been utterly disgusted. I don't know if it's because this is my child now, or maybe it's because some parts of the original Chrysanthy are still here, but I only feel love and appreciation.

"You've birthed a beautiful baby boy," Lussios says as he wipes his hands on his pants. Being disheveled doesn't seem to suit him, but right now, I'm extremely attracted to this man.

I want to thank him a thousand times for doing this, but my eyes begin to close. Perhaps giving birth has taken it out of me or I'm losing too much blood. Whatever the answer is, I only worry about the baby as my arms become slack.

***

When I wake up, I'm laying on vibrant green grass and a cloudless sky is what I see above me. If I'm here, there's only one reason.

"Actually, you're not dead," God tells me as they appear next to me. I turn my head to see that rather than a female body, it's now a male, but the voice is the same. "You came very close, I won't lie to you, but you managed to pull through."

Familiar black eyes stare at me, but they're now on an angular face that's bare. Bushy eyebrows sit atop the eyes and rather than a straight bob, this figure has much shorter hair. But still, the skin is pale.

"Uh-huh." I sit up and breathe in the seemingly fresh air. Though I'm not sure there is actually oxygen here. "Why am I here then?"

God gives me a smile before patting my shoulder. "This is the only time I can see you... when you're close to death or dead altogether."

That's not the answer I'm looking for, but I stay silent. While I want to feel anxious, in this space, I'm unable to. All negative feelings fade away in this timeless plain. I guess it's good since without that, I'd probably be freaking out.

Closing my eyes, I lay back again. I want to bask in this short moment before I head back down to consciousness.

"How is life so far?" God asks, interrupting the peace I was settling into.

"I'm sure you know the answer to that," I mumble. "Chrysanthy lived quite a sad life. Even now, while pregnant, she was cast out by the mistress... if Lussios hadn't come... she'd be gone forever."

"It seems like you're still differentiating yourself from her."

Thinking back, I guess that's true. No matter how much I've said that this is my life now, I've been referring to Chrysanthy as if she's still here when she's not. Immeasurable guilt continues to rise within me whenever I fully encapsulate this life. I feel like I'm erasing her completely.

"Don't forget that this is your life now. Yes, your consciousness is in the body of someone else, but this is you. You should lead this new life in the direction that you want." God shrugs before walking towards the large tree that was here last time as well.

"Is my baby okay?" I ask.

"Yes. That tall man carried you and the child back to those gates. When the guards saw what happened, they were quick to open the gates this time."

So seeing a woman covered in blood and with a newborn baby got them moving. At least they're not cold enough to leave a child out alone. And I'm glad that we're somewhere safer than a cave in the woods.

"That's good," I say with a smile, nodding my head. "Is this all for a catchup?"

God grows serious, his face changing from a carefree smile to pursed lips and black eyes. SIghing, he leans against the tree and crosses his arms. Pale arms are big and bulging, giving the appearance of a man who works out.

"I did call you here to see how you're doing... but the main reason is that your current world will be facing a huge disaster soon," God tells me. "I wanted to warn you that things will begin to get crazy and that you need to get whatever you have to get sorted before that happens."

"Are you telling me you want me to solve the issue?"

God shakes their head. "No... I just wanted to let you know to be careful."

Well," I sit up again. My mind wants to be worried but I feel like I physically can't. "Can you tell me more?"

Another head shake.

Biting the inside of my cheeks, I sigh and stand to my feet completely. "Okay... I'll heed your words. Now send me back please."

*Bit of a short chapter this week, sorry about that

*Bit of a short chapter this week, sorry about that. This chapter is a bit weird too, honestly. Maybe when I get around to editing it, I'll fill things out! Either way, I hope you enjoyed it!*