Chapter Thirteen

In retrospect, everyone in this world is born with mana in their bodies

In retrospect, everyone in this world is born with mana in their bodies. Typically it's based on their heritage for how much mana a baby contains when born, but steps can be taken to build it. In Rekha, wielding mana is not mandatory, but it's heavily suggested that everyone have an understanding of the flow of mana and at least learn defensive techniques. Mana is also what has aided in all of the technological advancements here.

The royal family in Rekha is expected to build their mana to a high degree. That's not just because they're the authoritative figure here, but also because it's part of their duty to help protect all of Rekha. Luckily, it's not in their nature to depose those who have inefficient mana. Instead, they allocate them to more mundane jobs within the royal family before they're married into other respectable families.

Mages are on par with the royal family for the amount of mana they can build. They're the only beings allowed to have just as much, if not more, mana than the royals. They also typically work with regulars like engineers or doctors to advance technology and medicine. Even so, mages stay out of the limelight and keep hidden to shadows. They work behind the scenes rather than in front.But from what I've been told, it's also their job to help in times of war by wielding their magic on the battlefield. It's a very intricate web of command.

As for regular citizens, it's broken down before those in the military, those who are considered first responders, and those who live normal lives. It's expected that the imperial guard have a certain amount of mana and under them are the non-elite guards. Next are those such as doctors, police, etc. who are also expected to hold a certain amount of mana, but not as much as military personnel. Then normal citizens are those who aren't required to have as much mana, but who should still be able to understand it.

Long story short, Rekha is a place which is focused on magic and filled to the brim with it.

"Rekha has been low in criminal activity for a long time because of how we hold everyone accountable to learning certain spells for protection," Lussios says just as we pass over a cobblestone bridge that overlooks a sparkling river. "Even just one defensive spell is enough. That's why all little tots learn to build a small amount of mana before they become the age where they go to school."

Unlike Torbum, I like that Rekha is a bit more lax with their sense of patriarchy. To anyone's eyes, they would be able to spot the differences. Women here seem free, like they matter more for their thoughts than if they'll be able to bear a child. Couples walked together, even with some women leading rather than a man being the one to take the first steps.

While Torbum is still fixated on a man being the protector, Rekha has made it a priority that everyone be able to defend themselves. After Lussios' explanation, I've developed a deep appreciation for how their magic system works. Maybe I'm reaching here, but I think that if Torbum ever became averse to mana, women would be banned from it.

"Is it possible that even this little guy has mana?" I ask, glancing down at the child in my lap. If carseats exist in this world, unfortunately this vehicle came without one.