Chapter Fifteen

It's hard to let the child you've kept a close eye on out of your sight

It's hard to let the child you've kept a close eye on out of your sight. So as one of the maids carries his giggling form off, I struggle to hold back from chasing after them. As Lussios leads me even further away, I want to shout that the child needs to come with us.

Lussios grabs my hand and pulls me into his side before wrapping an arm around my shoulder. The sudden proximity only makes me want more as I wrap my own arm around his waist. Behind us, the curious gazes cause my skin to prick.

It's not common practice for men of his ranking to still be single. In this timezone, having an heir is one of the most important things one can do as a noble. So I'm sure that every single one of the workers here is surprised to see Lussios being handsy with some random woman who definitely doesn't look like she belongs here.

"He'll be safe here," Lussios whispers into my ear, causing shivers to run don my spine. "You have my word that no one will try to harm you or him in this place."

It's not that I don't believe being here is more in my favor than Torbum. I know that this place is my best bet and that even being in a foreign land will be better than the place I was born.

Shaking my head, I purse my lips, shelving the snappy reply I have. For some reason, I'm feeling unnaturally moody right this very second. Maybe it's the fact that Lussios kept such a huge secret from me... even when he knew who I was this whole time. Maybe it's because after being stuck on a boat for so long, I just don't know what to do with myself. Or I'm just feeling anxious about being in a new place and about this conversation we're about to have.

Lussios stops outside of another set of double doors, but these are much smaller than the entrance. Like earlier, one person rushes forward then pulls the large blocks of wood open. Then he bows while we enter. I'm starting to think that Lussios doesn't open his own doors.

We step into a dining room that hosts a large table with a beautiful centerpiece made of a wide clear vase and with what looks like magnolias. Various artworks line the walls, almost making the room seem like a gallery or a showroom of sorts, though I can't miss the fact that one of the paintings is that of Lussios dressed to the nines in what I'm guessing is his ultimate formal wear.

Lussios pulls my chair out for me, shooing away yet another servant. He takes his own sea before maids come out in a flurry, pushing carts of liquids and food. They set our table before bowing and scurrying away.

"We haven't had anything since the early morning. I'm sure you're both hungry and tired, please eat." Lussios motions to the food on my plate. He gives me a smile, but it's not his usual one. I'm sure he's gearing himself up for the long talk we're going to have.

"I'd much rather you explain over dinner."

Lussios sighs and rubs his stubbled chin. Picking up his glass, he sips the drink before nodding. "I think you've already put the pieces together... but yes. Let me properly introduce myself.