Chapter Twelve

Stars have never looked so bright to me before

Stars have never looked so bright to me before. There's a lack of fossil fuels here that makes the air crisp and the sky clear. Now that I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I've decided to begin fully living this life.

Everything is currently on the backburner. God's warning is still in the back of my mind after I was dreadfully reminded of the giant fissure I almost plummeted into nearly two months ago. Since then, each interaction we've had is rolling through my brain. Certain words and phrases have started coming to the forefront of my frontal lobe. It doesn't seem like I was reincarnated just because God is a huge fan of my work.

A gust of icy wind raises goosebumps on my arms. The breeze brings with it the salty yet fresh smell of the vast ocean around us. I still can't get used to how dark everything is, and the fact that a misstep could very well cost me my life.

We've been on this ship for two weeks now and with much longer to go. Having been on cruises in my past life, I'm happy to know what to expect, even as we cross through violent waves. It's been interesting to see how the weather changes each day and how the ocean current follows that direction. Though my fear still runs deep.

Lights work by magic on deck, allowing for passengers to see their steps. I still can't fathom how things in this world work. While Torbum doesn't make use of mystical things, it seems other distant lands do. If a grown man flying wasn't proof enough then I don't know what is.

In a matter of minutes, it becomes freezing outside. Hugging my body tight, I back towards the cabins and away from the chill of the night air. I'll have to save getting some fresh air for the morning.

Despite this ship not being like modern ones I'm used to, it has its appeal in its own ways. The structure is behind on many technological advances, though the comfortability isn't bad. The beds may be firm and the water may not heat well, but overall, it hasn't been bad. I'd imagine that this ship is similar to ones from the early 1900s.

As I reach my room, the boat sways hard to the left. A yelp leaves my mouth as I reach for the doorknob and use it to brace myself. It seems the night will be rocky. At least I know that the child will have a restful sleep.

Pushing into the room, the wholesome sight of a father and his child greets my eyes.

Only it's a delusion that I have.

Lussios lays on the bed, mimicking the child's sleeping position; on his back, arms parallel to his head. This has been the routine for the two weeks we have been on this ship. Upon his insistence, I've been taking nightly walks while Lussios keeps an eye on the child who has yet to be named.

Clearing my throat, I shut the door behind me and raise an eyebrow. "You don't have to watch him if you're fatigued, Lussios. I appreciate the thought, but I would prefer you take care of yourself before worrying about me."

The man in questions opens his eyes and the golden lenses shift to me. He shakes his head before lifting up and shrugging one shoulder. "I think children are beautiful creations. I don't mind lending a hand to you."