Part 11

~ ♕ ~

In hindsight, trashing all the mirrors in my place wasn't such a wise choice. Putting on make-up in the rear-view mirror of my car is difficult, even more because my hands won't stop trembling. But I really need the make-up. I look like a mess after barely sleeping three hours all night. Too pale, with cracked lips and dark shadows beneath my dead eyes.

"Had some fun with my curse last night. How's yours going?" I text Juliet. Wait. Wait more.

No answer comes and I put the phone away with a heavy heart.

I'm beyond late when I finally enter the company building. After a coffee and skimming my emails I finally sign the waiver - without hesitation this time.

Yes, I miss my father. Yes, I love his shop. But I love my life more.

In a brand new envelop I put the documents on Amber's desk with a note asking her to express-mail it once she comes back from her meeting. I can put up at least that much fight against Caroline. My pride won't allow me not to.

Then I go to see Mr. Schneider. Nervously I shift my weight from one leg to the other in the elevator up to the seventh floor to his office. The corridor there is quiet and empty - eerie compared to all the other floors that are not top management. No one rushes from one meeting to another, nobody stands together for coffee in the social areas, no private phone calls out in the hallway.

Only one voice carries through the door up ahead. Muted, but after years working together I would recognize it everywhere.

Jared.

He laughs.

I pause for a heartbeat, a strange shudder racing over my skin, then the red hot anger snaps in place and I barge into the office.

Cheery afternoon light from wide windows, too fresh air and the practical yet fancy furniture welcome me.

The two men sit together on the leather lounge chairs in the far corner of the spacy office, for a split second like they are having a blast together, then they realize me and both freeze.

"Caitlyn!" Mr. Schneider exclaims, his tone both surprised and annoyed. His mouth remains open so wide the wrinkles flatten.

Jared's eyes narrow as he sits up straight. He has the decency to look caught, because at the end of the day that's what he is. Sucking up to the boss for the job recommendation, when he said he wasn't. Proving once more, that nothing at all that comes out of his pretty mouth can be trusted.

"Sorry to interrupt, do you have a minute?" I say sharply.

"Yes, of course," Jared says and stands. He ushers me back out the door with a hand burning a hole in my shoulder blade, before either I or Mr. Schneider can properly react.

"I didn't mean you," I snap, hurrying to bring safe space between us. Contact has my skin prickle and my stomach fuzzy. "I have nothing to say to you!"

Jared raises his arms between us, like trying to calm a wild animal. "Let's just make sure we are on the same page, before you resort to doing anything stupid."

I snort, crossing the arms over my chest, where my heart hammers against the rip cage.

"You are mad." He says it like it's a puzzle he can't solve.

I don't bother to answer. It is no use anyway. Whatever I could possibly say, the silver tongued devil will only turn it around to his advantage.

"Why are you mad?"

I clench my teeth, staring past him at the wall. If it wasn't so undignifying, I would have shoved him out of the way.

"Cat."

"Don't call me like that!" I snap. Only my friends and family get to use that nickname. Which he definitely isn't. I don't even remember how he knows about it. Have I told him? I must have. Doesn't matter.

"What's wrong?" He sounds sincere. So damn sincere.

My eyes betray me.

He even looks sincere. Sincerely worried, quite a bit alarm. There is also that touch of spooked deer expression he gave me before. Like he is afraid I will bolt and would be sad if I did.

I won't be tricked again.

"What's wrong?" I repeat. My tone is acid. I gesture towards Mr. Schneider's office.

Jared's brows furrow. "If it's about the presentation, I just talked to Schneider."

"Yeah, of course you did." Sitting together for a carefree chat during working ours. Because for some people normal rules don't apply. They don't need skills and effort, they just need a charming smile and a talent for spouting lies to get a promotion.

"He agreed to make his final decision after reviewing it himself."

I roll my eyes.

"What basically means it's settled. Charlie's animation skills are awesome."

"Sure."

"What's the problem?"

"You, you lying bastard!" I hiss.

He blinks, then smirks, about amused. A teasing spark catches his eyes. "What did I do now?"

"Mr. Schneider - "

"I talked to him. We already covered that," Jared cuts me off. "What else?" He waves his hand between us like gesturing a pet to hurry up.

"You - " God, he makes me mad. "You said you'd assign me help for the event."

He nods. "Dimitri and Mei. Will help you set up starting tomorrow and oversee the kids."

That takes the air out of my lungs. And apparently the wits out of my brain, because - "Then why do you ignore my phone calls?" I blurt.

"Ignore?" He arches a brow, obviously thinking. "Oh," he says like he just realized it. Like somehow phones work different in his universe and a bunch of calls and texts mean something else.

"I was busy with a customer visit. Just now is the first time in two days I can take a breath. I was going to come find you right after the talk with Schneider."

"Like hell." Jared is basically glued to his phone all day, every day - like me. It comes with the job. He knew I was trying to get in touch and he simply chose not to answer. He chose to ignore me, like a tinder match he is done with.

"You are being irrational, Cat. I do not ignore you, but I can't drop everything for you all the time. I am not your Prince Charming."

My heart startles. I suck the air in.

So does Jared, when he realizes what he just said. His faces loses a bit of colour. "That came out wrong."

I shake my head. Shake it harder, as I unconsciously step back. My stomach burns. My heart hurts.

"Cat," Jared tries, his voice soft. He knows he spooked the deer and tries to stop what he set in motion.

But he can't, because I can't.

I can't listen to him anymore.

I can't look at him anymore.

I turn around and flee.

~ ♕ ~