Part 16

~ ♕ ~

Way too early I sip coffee while watching my team put the last things in place for the story telling event starting in about an hour. I have to use my 'not a snowball's chance' cup with a smiling snowman burning in hellfire. Susan stole the 'how about no' cup. I suspect on purpose, because she is grumpy and loves to make everyone else grumpy as well.

Full success.

Not that I would have needed another thing on top of everything else to ruin my mood. I pretty much hit rock bottom yesterday.

I avoid the big meeting room for now, take care of the corridor in front leading down to the entrance area. We placed the mobile showcase there, containing the full assortment of every vacuum cleaner Electro Corp currently offers. Someone put a sign saying 'the modern Cinderella's tools – better than every Fairy Godmother' on top.

With a sigh I put my cup down on one of the high tables and spread the product flyers. Then I turn to the adjacent smaller meeting room, the gathering place for visitors who would like to have a factory tour after the reading.

And bump into Jared's back.

"Oh, good morning," he chuckles over his shoulder.

I step back, brushing my hair out of my face. Warmth tingles in my cheeks. "What are you doing here?"

"Checking the equipment for the tours." A clothes rag with visitor coats and a hanger shelf for headphones to the audio guides. "With the way you are still half asleep, I am thinking it was a wise choice not to leave that to you."

"That's – not what I meant." Families and anger issues and traumatic experiences and stuff. I was sure Jared wouldn't show his face in the office today, even less anywhere that close to the event.

He skips a beat before answering with the slightest crack in his smile. His brain capable of spinning thoughts through to the end much better than mine that time of the day. "Be gone in a minute."

"Okay."

We stare at each other for a moment. For once I don't avoid his eyes, swallowing me whole. A hundred unspoken things hang in the air between us. I want to ask how he is doing, but it is actually none of my business. I want to throw my arms around him and never let go again. I want him to crush me to his chest with the same sentiment. His fingers twitch at his sides like he just might.

"Okay," he eventually repeats back at me, voice a bit off, and takes a step back like retreating behind the invisible line our curse draws between us. With a nod he turns back to the rack with the coats.

I rub my forehead, the familiar disappointment settling heavy on my heart. I shake my head to myself, because I forgot what I was going to do, and head back outside.

The corridor is starting to swirl with people, guys from HR, my team and Jared's people taking a break, some student guides for the tours checking their schedules.

I head over to the high table and grab my cup. More caffeine will help me think better. Take a sip.

Spit.

It's the 'how about no' cup. Not the 'not a snowball's chance'.

It's not coffee.

It's apple juice.

I spit and cough and retch. But it's no use. The liquid burns in my throat. I can't breathe.

That's it.