Part 17

~ ♕ ~

A solemn silence spreads in the office.

Because Jared can't argue and I can't bring myself to say anything else on the topic.

"You should go. We're opening any minute now." My voice is quiet and sounds unlike myself as I rise from the chair. Without turning back I leave the office.

Jared doesn't follow.

What hurts – so much – but is probably for the best.

I turn for the next bathroom down the corridor to fix my smeared face. It's even worse than I expected.

Dark smears of mascara streak my cheeks. I am pale like snow. The natural ebony black of my hairline is more prominent than ever. I've apparently wiped the lipstick off, revealing the bloody red lips beneath.

I want to smash the mirror.

I don't.

Instead I grab a paper towel from the dispenser with stoic calm, wet it at the sink, and start rubbing off the rest of the smeared make-up.

It's not gonna change anything anyway.

No, it won't.

Those superficial efforts to hide my true self were utterly useless. I know that now. So was all the effort I put into fighting my curse.

I leave the bathroom and head to the big meeting room – the enchanted forest. Like cattle to the slaughterhouse.

Apparently we already opened the entrance doors for the first visitors.

Charlie leads his football team of kids to front row seats with pride straightening his shoulders.

Amber stands in the back, eyes on me, slightly worried, but arms entwined in front of her chest with joy. Next to her leans Alex, hair messed up like he has lain on a pillow until a minute ago, and weary gaze unfocused.

Ravi instructs parents on snacks and drinks for their kids. He decorated his face mask, making it look like the jaw of a wolf.

Dimitri and Mei stand next to the stage in front, half hidden behind a tree, both obviously a bit nervous. They are doing the first reading.

Susan adjusts the last things on the computer. She gives me a pointed look with pursed lips. Both my cups stand on the table, the 'how about no' is slightly chipped now, probably because I dropped it.

I roll my eyes, but say nothing. Stupid Susan. Who even drinks apple juice from a coffee cup? Maybe Caroline paid her to scare me.

A girl with golden curls and a wild laugh almost runs me over on her way into the room and I step aside. To the back wall of the room, press my back against it to steady me. My knees are trembling weak. I am not sure how I have the strength to stand at all. How I managed to walk here.

Into the enchanted forest. The room even smells like one now with all the trees.

People keep pouring in, until about half of the seats are filled. What is good, for the first reading of the day. Usually only the ones in the afternoon are that highly visited.

Then the lights are dimmed down a bit. Amber's fairy lights glitter like true magic. Mei and Dimitri take their seats on the stage.

I breathe consciously. Put my whole focus on inhaling and exhaling. Maybe Jared was right. Nothing awful is happening, and I –