Part 14

~ ♕ ~

I stand in the entrance hall and watch with a blank mind how the guy from the florist delivery service carries in tree after tree. Caucasian firs, each one is about as tall as Jared with rich, full branches and planted in a plain, green pot. So, not dried out as I had feared, but very much enchanting, what I had feared more.

I hesitantly follow the delivery guy from the main entrance down the corridor past the canteen into the big meeting room with the trees lined up at the sides, where my team works on the other decorations.

Amber hangs up fairy lights shaped like stars and hearts, casting a dim, but warm glow over the white walls. She works with a cheesy grin and a joyful hum on her lips. Alex yawns, holding the other end of the light chain for her, with dark shadows below his eyes like he hasn't slept in days. How many frat parties can a week have?

Ravi stands in the corner with a woman from the catering service, gesticulating over the room and tables for the food, that don't stand in their proper place yet. He is wearing a face mask, because he is still sneezing and probably wants to avoid spreading his bacteria all over the place.

Charlie sets up the big screen and his computer on the small stage at the far end of the room. Susan works on attaching fake ivy to the cables, to make the scene look as realistic as possible, while grumbling about everything and everyone.

Dimitri – the bear of a man from Jared's team – is placing the chairs in rows for the kids to sit. Although he trips more over his own feet than anything else, filling the room with annoying rattles. Docile Mei stands a bit aside from him, arms full of satin cushions for the seats. She bows and blushes red like a tomato every time someone as much as passes by her.

I tilt my head looking at them.

My heart starts to hammer in my chest with a hair-rising unrest and I don't know why – until I do.

Seven people. With Dimitri and Mei they are seven people now. Seven very special people.

In the original tale, the roles weren't as distinct, but there is no doubt.

Amber is happy, Susan is grumpy, Alex is sleepy, Dimitri is dopey, Mei is bashful, Ravi keeps sneezing, and Charlie has to be the boss.

There are my seven dwarfs – working on setting up an enchanted forest.

A cold shiver crawls over my skin. I want to run, but my feet are rooted in place by awful premonition. I can't move. I can't think. I can't breathe.

I can't escape.

"Looking good," Jared says, suddenly standing next to me. No not suddenly, I was too occupied by my impending doom to notice him coming into the room.

My eyes snaps to him, all over him. Jump at his presence like a lifeline.

He looks striking. Broad shoulders in an olive shirt with black jeans. His midnight hair curl at the nape of his neck. His smile is out of this world. Charming and teasing and comfort. His eyes shine in the most beautiful gold tone, even more breath-taking than my fear.

"Do you have a minute? I think we should talk," he says in his rich voice, with the hint of the accent I noticed he only ever allows himself with me.

"Are you my Huntsman?" I breathe. Because right that moment he is certainly killing me.

Jared frowns. First a little, then a lot, like he needs a moment to understand. Then his brows shoot up. "What?"

I swallow, blinking out of my daze. "Yeah, I mean – " I don't know what I mean. Am I an idiot? I know Jared is a raven. He has nothing to do with my story. "Look." I gesture helplessly at the room.