Part 20

~ ♕ ~

I hug the red shoes to my chest on the drive home. Not because I think Jared was right and they are my salvation, but because he gave them to me.

Houses, cars and traffic lights pass by in a blur. Dusk paints the end of the day in heavy grey, with darkness lurking from the growing shadows.

It's cold, I think.

At least, I am. Ice grows in my chest, as if I am not Snow White, but made from snow entirely. Maybe the fairy tale curse has finally decided to kill me with a broken heart. If so, it's a slow and agonizing death. With every memory of Jared I mull over in my head the ice grows thicker, until it is ready to burst into a million pieces.

Juliet blabbers about flower decorations on the backseat next to me. Amir gives more input than I do. A lot more, actually, despite his strained smile that clearly says everything beyond 'red roses mean love' escapes his understanding. "Anything you want, Darling," he tries to escape as he pulls over at the side of the road in front of my apartment building.

"But your aunt Yari is allergic to Gardenias, isn't she?"

"We'll plug both her nostrils."

Juliet rolls her eyes, but with a wild smile I am beginning to understand. Amir is quite funny, in his own serious way.

"Thanks," I say as I open the car door to step out.

"Should I –"

"We'll be fine," Juliet cuts Amir off.

"Alright," he says, not convinced. Neither am I. Every step or bigger motion sends a wave of pain and nausea fighting through my head. Getting from the hospital bed into the car was a hassle, with Amir practically carrying me. I don't know how I will get up three flights of stairs to my apartment on my own. "I'll see you later then. But if anything comes up, call me."

He will stop by the car repair shop of his friend, to which he had my crashed car towed, to take care of some paperwork, then go shopping for me, because of course my fridge is empty besides leftover chocolate cake from a few days ago. In any case unprepared for a longer home stay my concussion will require.

I think I need to apologize to Amir. A lot. I really do jump to conclusions too quickly, don't I?

Juliet hooks my hand in hers, shouldering my handbag. "You want me to take that too?" she asks with a nod to the paper bag with the red shoes.

"No." I clasp the bag tighter to my chest.

"What's in it anyway?"

I wince. "A gift from Jared." What technically isn't a lie.

"Aha?"

I clench my teeth, taking the first few steps up the stairs. With one hand I hold onto the handrail, the bag dangling around my wrist, with the other side I lean onto Juliet. I need both to keep upright. I focus on the pain in my head to escape the one in my heart. "He said – he thinks I can get rid of Caroline with it."

"The shop wasn't enough for her?"

"She doesn't have it." Not yet, in any case. With Steve Edwards, my stupid Huntsman, refusing to acknowledge the waiver. I'll have to call the man first thing in the morning and take care of things. To hopefully calm the evil step-monster down. After the car accident, I feel even less prepared to experience the pain of death any time soon.

Wait.

She returns to the land of the living.

That's what Jared said.