Part 13

~ ♕ ~

I sneak through the corridor like a thief.

At least I feel so. Every unexpected sound has me startle, every office door opening has me flinch.

"Are you okay?" Charlie asks.

I nod. Whatever I could have said, wouldn't have sounded convincing. But I don't want Charlie to worry, he is insecure enough already. The way he clings to his laptop and rubs his free hand over his side proves so.

We reach Mr. Schneider's office. I knock.

"Yes, come in," the old man says.

Only after the office door is closed tightly behind me I can relax. Jared is not here and won't be here. I will have at least an hour free of worrying about bumping into him. If I could have, I would have stayed home. Faked being sick. Homeoffice. Anything at all to avoid him after my emotional breakdown in the bathroom yesterday. With his beautiful eyes, Jared would see right through me.

"Good afternoon," Charlie says politely with the best smile he can manage.

"Please, have a seat." Mr. Schneider gestures to the meeting table to the left. My eyes cling to the lounge chairs he and Jared sat in yesterday. Either because I am afraid he will materialize there out of thin air, or wishing it so. I am not half as confident as I should be, and Jared's support would have been comforting. He would have probably come, if I had asked him. But I haven't and now his absence is a pinch in my heart. I feel as alone and miserable as Rapunzel must feel in her tower.

Charlie and Mr. Schneider exchange small talk while the beamer flashes alive and the first scenes of the multimedia presentation appear. Charlie starts reading.

My fingers dig into the armrest of the chair, forcing myself to stay in place. It is not my story. It is not about me. Jared was probably right, I am paranoid and have nothing to worry about.

Except I am more upset than ever. If the fairy tale curse finally snaps its jaw shut on me I will be poisoned and die. And then I will meet my prince. And I will have to let go of Jared.

I can't even imagine. Sitting in this meeting without him is already terrible.

If I had the time to spare, I would go cry in the bathroom again.

If it would change anything, I would lock myself up at home and pretend the world didn't exist. Jared could come visit me every day after work – bring me sweets and cookies and cake to cheer me up. Until one day Caroline forces the bakery to secretly mix an apple slice into the dough, and I die anyway.

I let out a long, rattled breath. I am damaged. Even my fantasies end in doom.

"And they lived happily ever after," Charlie ends the story. The presentation shows the last page of the picture book. Shapes of a man and a woman holding hands in front of a castle. Red hearts swirl over their heads.

I pull a face. I most definitely do.

"Well." Mr. Schneider leans back in his chair, locking his fingers over his belly. "Not exactly what I expected."

"That means?" I ask carefully.

Mr. Schneider sucks on his bottom lip for a moment, obviously thinking. "I hate being wrong, but I appreciate it when I am told so." He sits up straight again, changing into the personification of the loving grandfather. "That was a marvellous story. Very good work. I think the children will be as enchanted as I am."

"Thank you, Sir," Charlie says with a wide grin.

I sigh with relief. At least one thing going as planned. One thing that doesn't escalate in horrible, unfathomable ways. 

~ ♕ ~