Pretty girls shouldn't cry

Chapter 5
[real life]

"Buckets!", I hear someone yell behind me as Paige shot her 2nd layup of the night.

You could tell that she was a little rusty, missing shots she wouldn't normally miss, however, she never let it get her down and she still fought hard the entire game.

I had probably one of the best seats in the house. As well as the loudest ones. Hayley and I were sat at the end of the players bench and every time someone would score, the floor would start vibrating with how loud everyone was.

The clock was down to just a few seconds left in the 2nd quarter and I was nearly on the edge of my seat at this point.

I jumped up the second the buzzer went off signaling halftime. Clapping for the girls as they walk off of the court.

At halftime the score was 59-31 with UConn taking a very early lead. I took a seat, waiting for the girls to finish with the halftime talk back in the locker room.

The moment they came back I was bombarded by half the team, wanting things re wrapped. I did about 4 ankles and some wrists, sighing as soon as the last girl was done.

"Can you look at my knee?", I hear someone say from behind me.

I turn my head a little and smile as a sweaty Paige is frantically looking at me and then at the court all in one motion.

I nodded and motioned for her to hop up on the table. I pulled down her knee pad and felt around with my hands.

"Does it hurt", I say softly, glancing up at her.

"No, it just worries me", she responds.

"I think it's fine. You need to ice right after the game and if it starts to hurt, promise me you'll take yourself out", I pulled the knee pad back up and took a few steps backwards to get a good look at her.

She nods with a smile before happily hopping down and jogging back onto the court.
_____________________________________
"THATS A UCONN WIN", I hear the announcer yell as the girls jump up and down hugging each other.

Final score was 102-58. I don't think I've ever seen Paige this happy before. She hadn't stopped smiling since the buzzer went off and she was still grinning as she ran up and gave me a tight hug.

I wrapped my arms around her and smiled. Even though her family and friends were here, she still took the time to give me a hug.

"I'm so proud of you", I smiled as we parted.

"Go on a date with me", she blurts out randomly.

I stare at her for a few seconds, as shocked as ever. Was Paige buekers really asking me out? I hadn't even come to terms with my feelings yet. So I decided to do the only thing I knew. Ignore it.

"Go celebrate", I said excitedly. Gesturing towards her team who were jumping around at half court.

I could see her smile go away slowly until the happiness disappeared from her eyes as well. It hurt me to see her like this, but I just needed more time.

She gave me the smallest of smiles, although I could tell it was forced, before she walked away and back to her team.

Thats when it happened. I could feel a lump in my throat and tears threatening to spill from my blue eyes. I frantically looked for Hayley, when I saw her across the court I quickly made my way over.

I started having panic attacks after my breakup, I was constantly scared of everything. I had gotten them down to a few a month but that still didn't make it any easier.