END I.

Founders

Bloodfang sat on the edge of a building, staring out across what had once been the First Haven's Capital City. His glowing eyes reflected the sunrise, drinking in the new light.

"What is on your mind, old friend?"

Bloodfang sighed heavily as the Sluagh clambered up the side of the building until he was only slightly below the ledge, looking up at the Sanguine with curious eyes. "Look at the destruction we have wrought," the Bat murmured. "So many of our own died by our hands... and killed allies at our command."

"The commands were not our own," the Sluagh reminded him. "The Black Queen had us at her beck and call. We were... powerless."

"Yet the guilt remains," Bloodfang retorted, glaring down at his fellow Magnakind. "Like it or not, it was our own arrogance that set this in motion. Our unwillingness to quell the whispers of worship among the Wonderkind spurred Adam to action. Had we silenced them from the start, this could have all been avoided."

"Perhaps," the Sluagh conceded. Then he added, "Or perhaps it was Adam's own fear that caused him to create the Black Binding. Or perhaps it was a mixture of both." The Sluagh crawled up onto the top of the building, crouching next to Bloodfang. "Regardless, the past is the past. We cannot alter a course we have already completed—merely correct the course we are on."

Bloodfang nodded. "I know," he whispered.

-

The All-Seer lowered his head, allowing Addison to dismount. "Worthy, Primordial, and Avatar of a Founder," he commented to the Shifter. "What a curious path the Maker has laid out for you, young one."

"No kidding. But what else is new?" Addison patted the All-Seer's snout, adding, "I hope this 'Avatar' thing is only temporary, though. Heather's the one who should have that mantle."

The All-Seer simply stared at Addison in silence.

Addison frowned. "Is... is she gonna to be okay?"

"I cannot see the future, child. But I pray that she will recover." The All-Seer turned his head as Howlmoon approached with Queen perched on his shoulder. "Your Majesty," the Eye said, dipping his head to the King. "How are your wolves recovering?"

"I sense worldwide distress among the Children of the Moon," Howlmoon growled. "Many were forced to slaughter their friends. Their families. There is immense... tension."

"The Starchildren are experiencing the same thing."

The Founders and their Avatars turned to Xirxine as he walked up to them, flanked by the recently-revived Light Celestials.

"The damage done by Eve will last for centuries," Xirxine said softly, "if not a millennium. Bonds have been broken, grudges have been forged, and the physical destruction of the Havens is incomparable to the destruction of their souls."

"Ayeh! So somber, this one," Mbweha remarked, jerking a thumb at the Life-Walker.

"Perhaps. But he is right," Bundi said solemnly. "There is much work to do."

-

Father Sky flew in a circle over the city, his colossal shadow flitting past the sun. He felt as if he were carrying a massive burden as he did so—one so heavy it threatened to pull him down out of the sky.