ᴄʜᴀᴩᴛᴇʀ 31

Akshita's pov

I emerged inside the home and spotted Renuka Aunty a lady from our neighbourhood sitting with Ma. I flashed a smile and greeted her.

"Acha hua beta tum aagyi. Tumhari hi baat kar rhe the hum"

(It's good that you are here. We were talking about you only)

"Voh kya hai na meri beti ki aaj godh bharai hai toh tumne aur Vinita ji ko zarur aana hai" A strange tightness gripped my chest at her words.

(Actually it's my daughter's baby shower today so you and Vinita have to come)

"Ji Aunty" I said clueless.

"Mujhe toh kuch kaam hai" I tried to deny.

(I have some work)

"Kaam wagera karlena bas ek ghante ke liye aa jana beta. Meri beti ko bohot acha lagega please. Waise bhi konsa durr jana hai bagal mein hi toh hain hum" words didn't came out from my mouth observing her pleading face.

(Complete your work and attend the function for one hour atleast. My daughter will happy. Moreover you don't have to go very far, you just have to come neighbourhood)

I looked towards my mother in law for help but she gave me an hopeless look.

"Jii aunty hum zarur aayenge" I forced a smile on my face and she beamed with joy.

(Yes we will come surely)

"Thank you beta. Main intezaar karungi aap dono ka" she said before leaving the house.

(I'll be waiting for you both)

Ma came towards me and cradled my face "Sorry beta maine bohot samjhane ke koshish ke par sunti nhi meri. Zidd kar rhi thi ke hum ek bhi function nhi miss kar skte unke ghar ka"

(Sorry I tried to explain but she wasn't listening to me. She was adamant that we  can't miss her single function of house)

I gave her an assuring smile and lied off "It's okay Ma. I am fine with it"

I am not.

I scurried into my room and dropped my body on the bed. Familiar spear of pain stabbed my gut and my body trembled recollecting the memory of my life changing incident.

It's a happy news Akshita.
You shouldn't feel insecure with someone else happiness. You can't run away from this fear all your life. You have to fight.

I tried to explain myself but couldn't dodge off the restless feeling growing in my chest. Sweat slicked my forehead and my heart was throbbing in my ribcage.

"Bhabhi" Ishan barged in the room and I wiped the sweat from my face.

"The farewell pictures are here. You wanted to see them right" Ishan sat beside me carrying his laptop.

"Yeah" I mumbled.

His presence lightened my inner turmoil and he successfully distracted my mind.