004. Tournament

NAILEA'S POV

real life

real life.

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・
🎀 — VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT

The short drive here made it easy but the consequence of me being late meant that I had to do 10 laps around the court. "Why do you keep coming to practice late Lancaster? We have a game today and you decided that you were just going to show up late?" Jim, our coach folds his hands behind his back.

"I'm sorry. I keep sleeping in for some reason but after today it won't happen again." I eyeballed the ground. He looks me up and down, nodding his head. "The bus is here so go get on it." He tells me and all the other girls. We grabbed our bags and got on the bus.

Hours later we arrived at the opponents school with excitement filled inside of us. The others couldn't help but be happy after our last tournament. "This is so exciting." Gracie exclaims with a big smile on her face. All the others nod their heads and continue looking around. I grin at how happy and motivated they seem.

Coach got off the bus and waited for everybody to get off. We all got off and gaze at the university. "Shit." Hanna says. Sloane slaps her upside the back of her head since we're not supposed to cuss. "Ouch! I'm sorry. It slipped out." Hanna pouts and touches her head.

"Alright girls huddle up. When we get in there, do your best. Don't let them take advantage of you and find your weaknesses. Even if we lose today, don't look down on yourself because we all know that you tried." Coach says and pats my back. We all nod our heads and back away from the huddle.

"Now go in there and let's take home this win." He finishes, making us walk into the building and into the gym. The opposite team's eyes darted to the door when we came jogging in. They looked intimidating but I wasn't going to let that bother me. I stared down the opponents.

The first match started off with a powerful serve from our side of the court, hitting the opposite side of the court. The fans in the crowd all gasped and cheered for us. I knew this wasn't going to be easy seeing as the other team was full of winners but I was silently celebrating that.

We had spent the last month practicing our strikes, defenses, attacks but I didnt expect for us to finish the first match that fast. We vowed to do better after every game. The feeling of getting the first match done felt relieving — more or so uplifting.

During the second match our attacks were getting blocked over and over again, stressing out the team or mainly me. They got to set the ball and it was going good for us so far until the opposite hitter on the opponents team went to strike the ball. In the end though our middle blocker, Gracie jumped higher and blocked the ball, earning us a win for this round too since it landed on their side.

The team's performance today was really making me proud since our last tournament we lost by the last round. Safe to say that we were devastated for a while, to the point that half of us didn't show up to practice for a while.

"There we go girls!" Yelled sloane. That made
me focus on the tournament again. Our coach was on the side line trying to calm us down so that we don't get too overhyped and lose. For the first few minutes it wasn't going good for us. We hadn't had a break at all and that probably explains why. After we blocked a pass, they gave us a break.

Coach waved us over. Me and my teammates all gather around on a circle. "We're going to do that new set we worked on during practice. Okay? I'm proud of you guys." We all nodded and pat each other's backs before going back to the court and getting in our positions.

Next match started and I let my head drop to pray that we end up taking this win home. I focused on the other players attacks and defenses. Hanna, our libero and my friend, looks at me and smiles after we failed to block another one of their passes. And just like that we lost that round. Guess she smiled cause she saw me freaking out but that didn't really help. We had one more round to go and then we could leave. Everything depended on this next set.

MIMI SPEAKS; I don't know much about volleyball so bare with me. Hopefully y'all somewhat understand.