Charpter 13 - Old Yellow Bricks

Quite the little escapologist

Looked so miffed, when you wished

For a thousand places better than this.

You are the fugitive,

But you don't know what you're runnin' from.

You can't kid us and you couldn't trick anyone

Houdini, love you don't know what you're runnin' away from.

☽◯☾

Stiles half remembers this stupid poem her friend had written once, something about mirrors and finding themselves in other people- No, it was about finding pieces of oneself in other people because of how they experienced you.

Either way, Stiles wondered if the pain and tears that Derek was claiming were her own.

If by comforting her so much, he let himself take a piece of her pain.

Or maybe not. It'd be selfish of her to think he didn't have his own demons to let out.

She approached slowly, watching his shoulders shake as he breathed in, face screwed in pain and tears shining his eyes.

"Derek?" Her whisper did nothing to snap him from his state, inching closer and carefully reaching for his shoulder.

Stiles hissed in pain when his hand shot out to grab her wrist in a harsh grip, glaring viciously at her despite the girl feeling like he wasn't really seeing her.

Still, she did her best not to move, just staring at him in sad understanding until the fury and anger shifted to grief and pain, his face falling and reminding Stiles once more just how young he was compared to what she remembered.

Her heart broke at the pained noise he made, reaching out again to slide her free hand across his shoulder and at the back of his neck, pulling him down and squeezing just as he always did to her.

It took him a moment to react, limp and tense at the same time until he finally slumped against Stiles like a puppet whose strings just go cut, hiding his face on her neck as she brushed a hand up and down on the back of his head, trying to soothe the man.

"Breathe." She whispered, finally relaxing when he took a full breath instead of a stuttered one, his heart slowly calming down.

Stiles didn't know exactly how long she kept him upright, perhaps as long as he had held her when she banged at his door bloodied and half-crazed.