5. Right in front of my salad?

Minji's POV:

It's been three days since I joined school in Dallas, and it's been better than I expected, much better than my time in Austin. Danielle has been nicer than ever, Hanni is still the same, and Haerin and I have grown closer. I've learned that Haerin has had a massive crush on Danielle for over 4 years but is too much of a coward to tell her. 

Today, the four of us decided to sit together at lunch. Usually, I sit with Haerin mainly because I feel awkward sitting with Danielle and all her friends. Don't get me wrong, Danielle is amazing, but she's too popular and busy.

Today, however, things were different. I found myself sitting next to Haerin across from Danielle and Hanni. Hanni was glaring at me as usual, and Danielle was discussing something related to a movie only Haerin knew about and  Haerin was staring at Danielle like an idiot in love. It was so obvious; I don't know how Danielle still didn't get the clue. Even Hanni seemed to think the same.

"Kim, why are you not eating the veggies?" Hanni asked, making me look at the vegetables I had pushed aside on the plate.

"Because I don't like them, Hanni," I replied.

"Well, you should—" Hanni was interrupted mid sentence by a guy putting his hands over her eyes. I had seen him around a few times but never learned his name. "Hyunwoo?" Hanni said, never mind now I know his name.

"No fun, how do you always guess right?" he frowned, removing his hands from Hanni's eyes. He then sat next to her and pulled her into a hug.

"Who's he?" I whispered in Haerin's ear.

"You don't know? That's Hanni's boyfriend, Lee Hyunwoo," Haerin whispered back. I glanced at the couple, who were now kissing right in front of my salad. Like literally.

"Hanni has a boyfriend?!" I exclaimed in a whispered tone, but it came out a bit too loud, drawing the couple's attention.

"Who's this?" Hyunwoo asked Hanni. She sighed before answering, "This is Minji, Danielle's friend."

"Oh, hey Minji. I am indeed Hanni's boyfriend. Nice to meet you," Hyunwoo said, and I awkwardly nodded with a smile. I don't know why, but Hanni seemed tense and uncomfortable with him, though I decided to ignore that detail. Danielle noticed Hanni's discomfort and said, "Hyunwoo, do you mind letting the girls talk a bit? I mean, Hanni is all yours."

"Of course. I just came to say hi anyway. Bye, babe," he said before kissing Hanni again and finally leaving. Hanni sighed, and it seemed like a sigh of relief, though I was the only one to notice it.

"Hey, Minji, I do this thing almost every weekend. I'm throwing a sleepover party type thing at my house on Saturday, and I really want you to come. Don't worry though it'll only be a few people," Danielle said to me.

"Dani, you know I'm not good at hangouts. I'd be pretty boring," I replied while playing with the veggies on my plate. It was true; I never really went to parties, and the one time I did, it turned out to be a huge mess.

"Why are you calling her Dani?" Hanni interjected.

"Because that's what literally everyone calls her?" I replied, confused.

"No, I made that name, and you call her Danielle, not Dani," Hanni clarified.

"Hanni, it's not that seriou—" Danielle was inturepted by Hanni abruptly standing up from her seat in obvious anger, and the entire cafeteria turned their attention to us.

"What do you mean it's not that serious, Danielle? This random girl comes out of nowhere, steals your heart, steals the nickname I made for you, and now what next? Is she going to be your next new best friend? All you ever talk about is her! Minji this, Minji that! But what about Hanni? Where'd she go? You met her four days ago, and you barely even know her! What if she turns out to be like Yu—"